Comparing Chainsaws Advantages and Disadvantages

Hodgie

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont use husky because the choke starter thing is rubbish, taking the bar and chain off is also annoying imo. powerwise there isnt much in them but i feel husky are flimsy.

at least the husky turn off the easy and safer and more logical way

changing bar and chain is easy when you have done a few and a lot are now inboard clutch

There is no comparison, especially with the new 50 cc 346 out. It walks all over the 260. But it's a tad heavier.

The 260 is a proven design, 20 years out, but old tech compared to the new 362, which is strato charged. All old saws will eventually be gone, at least in the US, as the EPA regulations take full effect.

The strato charged saws run leaner and cleaner, are a tad heavier, seem to have good power and torque. But, since I personally run mostly fully wood ported saws, I like my old saws. And have enough in the stable to last for many years.

My worked over 346 will cut with a bone stock 441 or 440 and hold its own, as long as the wood is not huge. It's a joy to use, with all that power and light weight, and smooth shape to boot.

Next best 3 cube saw is the Dolmar 5100, then maybe the Shindaiwa 488 (the lightest of the bunch at 10 lb) followed by the 260, imo.

I have to laugh; I had all stihls until recently. Now I have 5 huskys, 1 echo, 1 stihl and two dolmars. The huskys are old 242s and one very nice 390XP which I got today! The latter was a steal so had to have it. Anyway, I agree with Shrek re husky switches - much prefer the Stihl all in one system. Also, why the heck can't any other brand of saw make a decent chain tensioner apart from Stihl? Stihls side tensioners have been perfect for donkeys years - inboard (rather than in the sprocket cover) and solid. Used a 346xp last week - was certainly aggressive. The only 026 (ms260) I owned wasn't as fast but better built. That said my climber has an 026 that screams like hell and cuts like a bullet... Tuned properly, full chisel chain...:001_smile:

I keep an open mind on stihl or husqvarna.I don't have a 346 eqivalent but i have a 34 6.Good weight ,plenty power and very aggressive.But i am thinking on buying another small saw,new 346 or ms361.Can't comment on jonsered but yes they come from the same factory(EM).jist my 2pence worth.:001_smile:

I can not stand the ms 260 026 or what ever the heap of crap may be its an awfull saw and i disagree strongly with it has better anti vibes...as for the choke on off thing my 357 which has same system as the 346 had a tree dropped on it breaking all this off and breaking the dead mans throttle it took me 2 mins to fit new parts they just slotted in and out no worries if that had ben a 260 i would of spent the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out how it all comes apart and goes back together...

Have had the misfortune of running and owning 260s most have seized or fallen appart when used how a saw should be and im not on about having it for mincing around at the back of a chipper....... 346 have used a few the new version is awsome will probably be my next saw