My hutzl ms361 clone saw build

dan494

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

I would be keener to see five years of use out of the saw. The 372 clone I worked on a while ago was like an old friend that had had some sort of stroke, it was all there but wasn't quite right. It was the stress cracks around the main bearings I didn't like and the cheap rubber tubing...and the very harsh recoil starter but there you go, don't expect to get OEM quality at this price but as a back up saw......possibly!

Yeah I don't need it, got plenty of saws. Just want to learn and if works well, happy days! It certainly feels good, looking at it and holding it only things that give it away is the name plate and the fuel tank a slightly odd colour

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

I have already pointed out a couple of key points that Dan (no disrespect to him) would have missed and possibly caused a reasonable amount of issues. If you fit a carb, it doesn't mean you fully understand how they work and how they can play up but does give you some confidence in changing carbs!

I appreciated the input. I fully accept chances are I'd do something wrong or a component would fail! But on flip side some of these saws do have a few years under their belts now so could be a viable tool

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Dan, hope this runs and works well for you.

Personally can't help feel your better off buying a scrap own saw and stripping it and rebuilding then ending up with something which will definately last years.

Very keen to see how this lasts though.

Perhaps but tbh looking at the prices of old saws and the cost of the parts, it's not worth it. For example I broke the flywheel on the 361 I built. A genuine one is around £100. They're a fiver from where I got the saw. Goes from a very expensive lesson to an annoyance!

• Thanks 1

She lives! Excuse the lack of ppe fellow arb police, flywheel just came so put it on and fired her up! First fire took about 20 pulls and tick over was too high to lowered that and just filmed this. Everything is 100% huztl apart from the spark plug I decided to change for an NGK 

• Like 4