My hutzl ms361 clone saw build

dan494

25 minutes ago, Mark Wileman said:

Amazing, well done! How does it "feel" compared to genuine stihls? Like switches and stuff, is it obviously aftermarket?

It feels fine to me. Only thing I have around to make a few test cuts it an old wooden serving trolley and it whipped through that very well. Its been sitting for a couple of hours and I've just noticed some petrol has leaked from the fuel cap and is really squeaky now so will put genuine ones on there tomorrow when get to a dealer. I've also heard the decomp valves fail often so ill put a genuine one on or just blank it off, prob the latter as pulls over easily. I'll also get my 461 out tomorrow which is the closest saw I own to compare it to, see how the plastic covers feel

• Like 1

had it out today, took a minute or so to warm up before would rev freely, but once it did it cut lovely. Had couple of extra guys on todays job and they couldn't tell the difference apart from the badge not being a stihl one. Plastics, switch, trigger on it feel exactly the same as my 461. Cant speak to its longevity but so far its spot on. Will definitely build another saw from the range in the future

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EricBradley said:

How do you stand with insurance if its involved in an accident as I doubt it will be CE marked and we all must have seen the video of the cheap plastic used for the chain brake handle

The only saw i've used where the chainbreak handle was dangerous was a genuine stihl ms660 where the exhaust melts and softens them. On this saw it feels as solid as any other saw i've ever used. Right now id wager its safer than alot of poorly maintained saws out there full of crap behind the brake mechanism!

AFAIK CE marking is only applicable if the item is 'manufactured for financial reward' and even then I think there is a ten year limit. How the insurance companies would view such a non CE saw only they can answer as they underwrite the risks they specify. 

If people check saws are operating correctly before use risks are obviously reduced.

It did make me think about all the 'modded' saws out there - that could be a can of worms!

Only problem I've had with a chain brake was one where the brake band snapped on second use - didn't realise until restarted saw and chain ran when it shouldn't have. Was advised by manufacturer (not dealer) it was 'a consumable part' and they weren't interested, saw was a Victus from the Efco stable. Had bought it for snedding, fortunately it was cheap and it now gathers dust in the workshop as I was so pissed off with Efco's attitude. Never had a band snap on any of the Stihls or Husky.

57 minutes ago, petercb said:

AFAIK CE marking is only applicable if the item is 'manufactured for financial reward' and even then I think there is a ten year limit. How the insurance companies would view such a non CE saw only they can answer as they underwrite the risks they specify. 

If people check saws are operating correctly before use risks are obviously reduced.

It did make me think about all the 'modded' saws out there - that could be a can of worms!

Only problem I've had with a chain brake was one where the brake band snapped on second use - didn't realise until restarted saw and chain ran when it shouldn't have. Was advised by manufacturer (not dealer) it was 'a consumable part' and they weren't interested, saw was a Victus from the Efco stable. Had bought it for snedding, fortunately it was cheap and it now gathers dust in the workshop as I was so pissed off with Efco's attitude. Never had a band snap on any of the Stihls or Husky.

probably a cheap and easy fix, the work saws are always snapping no biggy really

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update for anyone that's interested. Finally got a few cuts out of it. Still in the first tank, pulled the plug after about 10 minutes work and think the colour looks good? Then did a vid of it cutting. Bit boggy but expect it'll loosen up with few tanks through it and a decent tune

20180109_100606.jpg