The Crypto coin thread

Rob D

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The gains always sound great but if you purchased in Nov 2021, you won't be feeling so chipper.

Now if you purchased in Dec 2022...now may be a good time to sell.

Steve , I have some dosh to " invest " but I don't trust coz I don't understand it .

"Just a heads up that whether next week or possibly later this year, you'll read about bitcoin hitting all time highs again, after - as usual - manipulative rags lacking journalistic integrity like the Guardian telling you its dead or it's all scam for the past couple of years (before all sorts people who know literally nothing about the underlying technology parrot it on social media).

What they never report is that blockchain technology has the power to redistribute wealth and eliminate almost all corruption from politics, not in a delusional utopian everyone-gets-an-equal-amount-regardless-of-work-done kind of way though, but by removing the middlemen who suck value out of transaction between creator and user, buyer and seller etc.

If the UK or any other government's public money was stored on a blockchain, it could literally be coded to ensure that a democratically agreed % of taxpayers money is automatically sent to the national health service, or to pensions or whatever a society wants it to fund, and there wouldn't be anything corrupt politicians could do about it.

If they did try to somehow send some of that money to their cronies, it would all be visible to anyone on the blockchain, and every registered voter could in theory be asked to vote whether to cancel such a transaction and return it to the public purse, and then it would be done, automatically, without any corrupt human hands siphoning the money into their own wallets.

And that's why they keep reporting tired tropes like "crypto is a scam" or "bitcoin causes climate change" both of which are missing about 99% of the necessary context to be sure such statements have any merit (they don't)."

• Like 1

In the interim: 

"

Why should we pay cash everywhere with banknotes instead of a card ?
- I have a £50 banknote in my pocket. Going to a restaurant and paying for dinner with it.
The restaurant owner then uses the note to pay for the laundry.
The laundry owner then uses the note to pay the barber.
The barber will then use the note to pay for shopping.
After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a £50 value, which has fulfilled its purpose to everyone who used it for payment and the bank has jumped dry from every cash payment transaction made.
BUT
IF I go to a restaurant and pay digitally via Card,
- the bank fees for my payment transaction charged to the seller are 3%, so around £1.50
( and so will be the fee of £1.50 for each further payment transaction )
-for the owner re laundry or
- payments of the owner of the laundry shop,
- or payments of the barber etc.....
Therefore, after 30 transactions, the initial £50 will exist at only £5, and the remaining £45 has become the property of the bank … thanks to all of the digital transactions and fees!"
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark J said:

"Just a heads up that whether next week or possibly later this year, you'll read about bitcoin hitting all time highs again, after - as usual - manipulative rags lacking journalistic integrity like the Guardian telling you its dead or it's all scam for the past couple of years (before all sorts people who know literally nothing about the underlying technology parrot it on social media).

What they never report is that blockchain technology has the power to redistribute wealth and eliminate almost all corruption from politics, not in a delusional utopian everyone-gets-an-equal-amount-regardless-of-work-done kind of way though, but by removing the middlemen who suck value out of transaction between creator and user, buyer and seller etc.

If the UK or any other government's public money was stored on a blockchain, it could literally be coded to ensure that a democratically agreed % of taxpayers money is automatically sent to the national health service, or to pensions or whatever a society wants it to fund, and there wouldn't be anything corrupt politicians could do about it.

If they did try to somehow send some of that money to their cronies, it would all be visible to anyone on the blockchain, and every registered voter could in theory be asked to vote whether to cancel such a transaction and return it to the public purse, and then it would be done, automatically, without any corrupt human hands siphoning the money into their own wallets.

And that's why they keep reporting tired tropes like "crypto is a scam" or "bitcoin causes climate change" both of which are missing about 99% of the necessary context to be sure such statements have any merit (they don't)."

Just hang them. Stubby gets that. 

I'm all for trading again.

I've done a few jobs recently that have involved skills swapping.

Some carpet fitted for a hedge trim and crown reduction...

Also some plumbing done for strimming and hedge reducing,some digging and a bit of planting.

Sod bull currency and cash in my book...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Steve , I have some dosh to " invest " but I don't trust coz I don't understand it .

Like spud said, the time to buy was over the course of the last 12 months. Crypto attracts retail investors like you and me when the going good as it hits the news and people jump in. I think it’s still going up for a while though. 

i got in on the first bull run and. In profit on some coins, even on others, and down on more. Have been buying over the past 12 months to bring my average cost down. Overall my investment is down on what I’ve put in, although not by much…but I haven’t sold so technically not lost anything…yet

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2024 at 20:07, Mark J said:

If they did try to somehow send some of that money to their cronies, it would all be visible to anyone on the blockchain, and every registered voter could in theory be asked to vote whether to cancel such a transaction and return it to the public purse,

I think getting everyone to agree that is utopian. We all knew the Tories spread loads of cash to their mates during COVID yet Boris remained incredibly popular with the public.

• Like 1