Unbelievable

sean

This from a resident.  We can all see the state of this tree and it’s removal appears to be warranted. As I have shown in other threads however some of the decision making with regards removals are astounding. Today a new security firm arrived, refusing to show badges and some dressed like this. The situation is a mess.

So, here's an accountof Amey/SCC's efforts outside our home today. I'm livid, in case you were wondering, and therefore my editing instincts are a bit compromised, so I may go on a bit. However, I've read & re-read it and it's 100% accurate, as best as I can recount.

Late this morning, not one but two pick-ups carrying a large number of barriers arrived. Before I'd had chance to get outside, two more pick-ups had arrived (that's 4 truckloads of barriers. For 1 smallish cherry tree) and the first crew had erected barriers around the tree. Then, they just hung about (as did I, on my own property) saying that they doubted that felling crews would attend that day, which made me suspect that felling crews were in fact on the way. Then they all left. 4 trucks and at least 6 men to erect 4 pieces of 2x1m plastic fencing.

Sure enough, less than an hour later they were back, this time with chainsaws. More barriers were erected to form a "proper" exclusion zone, which also had the effect of excluding me or our neighbours from accessing or leaving our houses. Despite my presence, one arborist ascended the tree and proceeded to lop off a large branch; he was then told to stop by his (presumably) superior who pointed out that I was standing under the tree (I find it hard to believe that the arb didn't know this as I was less than six feet away from him).

By this time I had been joined by a neighbour and a couple of friends, and the crew (which now numbered about 8-10 people, at least one of whom was wearing a full-face balaclava) were clearly coming to the view that they weren't going to progress much further. So they slowly packed up, removed the full exclusion zone, leaving 5 free-standing barriers surrounding the tree (and the lopped branch, which they declined to clear away), and left.
All of this happened with absolutely zero verbal communication to me from any of the contractors; in fact I'd say they were actively ignoring myself and the other "protestors" (for "protestors", read "concerned residents who don't want to see their street environment decimated"). It's a new tactic to me, and whether or not it's designed to intimidate, it does - as does the presence of masked operatives.

The remaining barriers, having not been secured in any way, have inevitably blown over in the high winds. One is blocking the pavement, another is obstructing the road, and another has fallen on to my car. So I'm about to go out and stack them neatly against our wall, and consequences be damned.

I strongly suspect that some of what went on today contravenes HSE legislation, and/or other laws, and/or Amey's own guidelines. It certainly contravenes common sense, decency and respect for the citizens SCC is supposed to represent. And what has apparently been going on in similar vein in other parts of the city today just beggars belief.

Just a reminder:
6 (at least) vehicles and 12 (at least) workers/supervisors/observers, to achieve absolutely nothing - 

B1E9A819-6FD7-474C-BC00-EF152C5C5B67.jpeg

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ridiculous to judge this without knowing anything at all about it.

Did you actually see the contractors walk away from the site or did you just come across the scene?

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ridiculous to judge this without knowing anything at all about it.

Did you actually see the contractors walk away from the site or did you just come across the scene?

Get where you are coming from Mick but you can’t leave a site on a public highway in this mess.