Not getting on with hitchclimber.

Mark Wileman

When i transitioned from climbing on a prussik to the hc set up i was using the vt.13mm Yale xtc with 8mm op, too much sit back and finicky to get just right. Tried the Distel but it tended to bind up on descents. I went over to the Michoacan abely demonstrated by "The Educated Climber" and haven't looked back. Simple to tds with very little if any sit back and very reliable. Using an 8mm Marlow viper e2e. I'm going to splash out on a Zigzag and 45m of 12mm Yale Imori. Just because!!!

I think it’s what you get used too .. I climbed on a Prussic for an Ariel rescue last week and it amazed me how much it slipped and binded up ascending , really didn’t like it.
Don’t mind sit back or having to dress the hitch as long as it self tends, self tending with any system is what I want but really don’t like the zigzag and find it binds and does not self tend as well as a super loose vt type knot but I’ve only really used it on a ropewrench , been on 8mm armour prus for years, great stuff and very difficult to burn out , I was using liros before and having it last one climb.

37 minutes ago, Ferguson system said:

I have tried VT, distel and knut. All with the same result. The hitch tends to go slack as described earlier in the thread.

I think that I will give scwabisch and klemheist a try.

I don't think you can really beat a dialled in VT.  Problem is there are so many factors that contribute to its characteristics.

Even something as simple as twisting one leg 360degrees before putting it on the bona can have a huge effect.

Hey.
I really want to use the hitchclimber setup, the benefits are obvious. But I'm just not getting on with it, I've tried a ton of different knots and all have weaknesses that outweigh the benefits for me. I've resorted back to split-tail as it stands, now as a lot of people sing hitchclimbers praises I assume I'm doing something massively wrong. Here is a list of knots I've tried with it and don't get on with (I'm climbing on 13mm line):
VT (9mm): When ascending (especially footlocking) hitch isn't tightening quick enough (if it bites at all without dressing) to make it worthwhile use of energy.
Distel(9mm and 10mm): Gets too tight and makes for tough descent/slack retrieval.
Prussik(9 and 10 mm): Isn't biting fast enough.
Also the largest problem is that with the hitchclimber coming straight off my bridge it's all a bit close to effectively thrust up the tree, it's fine for footlocking big ascents but the smaller movements are difficult.

Anyone had any similiar problems and have any solutions?

Thanks.

Yes I get totally where yr coming from, tbh I only use hitch climber setup on my side to side now as had way too many issues like you've explained! I've resorted back to a Prussik on main line as tbh I gain more height on each pull if you get me, I was a fan like yrself and even bought the stein skywalker pulley setup but just find while it looks fancy its actually the more simple Prussik that's way more effective for me! Having said that I use the hitch climber on my 13mm side to side with 9mm michoacan knot, works great!
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ferguson system said:

I have tried VT, distel and knut. All with the same result. The hitch tends to go slack as described earlier in the thread.

I think that I will give scwabisch and klemheist a try.

What cord/climbing line are you using? If a distel is going slack then I'd make the assumption your hitch cord is to thick, I find the distel is the worst offender for binding.