How long before moving to SRT

Nathanzac

If I was to train a new climber I would not bother on a double rope ! Get on to SRT as soon as possible and don’t look back,you have grasped the basics of a double rope and it should stay there ! as others have said the longer you leave it the more programmed you become to relying on what method you get used too. All a double rope will do is give you tendinitis , bad wrists and tennis elbow. I can climb on either and spent 20 years in double ropes but recently I did a reduction on a small tree on a double rope I switched after half hour to much hard work.. plus I have tendons painfully sticking out my hands from years of gripping and pulling double rope technique.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hello,

I've just attended a 4 day course on SRT run by Terry Banyard at Merrist Wood college.

SRT will be a game changer for me at 47 years of age.

Crown access with minimal effort compared to prussik and bodythrust.

I moved to hitchclimber in my second year due to tendonitus was itself revelation.

SRT will take some serious thought and practice working the crown so I'll still be using DRT at times on smaller trees.

Ty

20171027_105452.jpg

20171025_094607.jpg

20171027_105145.jpg

Why the ring on the bowline?

I started on the zk1 which i bought if ian flatters but couldnt get on with it. I sold that and bought the zk2 and have kept with it for round 3 years. No one i climb with used srt when i began so ive taught myself through arbtalk etc. I love it. Its great for ascending, redirects and one dismantles with a lot of up and down. On smaller trees i dont always use it as i cant be arsed putting the chest thing on. 2 lads that seen me using it have now got into it.Overall id start it as soon as you want.

It annoys me when people say ddrt is unergonomic...hip thrusting on a prussik is, but i can use a knee ascender on a footloop and a ct foot ascender on ddrt with a zigzag.

Thats as ergonomic as srt 

Ive tried srt- well ive fannied around with it- but i dont do big trees that often so my kit mostly lies in the lockup gathering dust.It definetly has its merits and if your getting on a bit and i can see how you would think it assists your ascent but ddrt with the system ive described above is just as ergonomic..so there :001_tt2:

If your knackered ascending up then may i suggest the use of a wonderful invention called a ladder...very ergonomic

Edited by stihlmadasever
Add on
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

It annoys me when people say ddrt is unergonomic...hip thrusting on a prussik is, but i can use a knee ascender on a footloop and a ct foot ascender on ddrt with a zigzag.

Thats as ergonomic as srt 

Ive tried srt- well ive fannied around with it- but i dont do big trees that often so my kit mostly lies in the lockup gathering dust.It definetly has its merits and if your getting on a bit and i can see how you would think it assists your ascent but ddrt with the system ive described above is just as ergonomic..so there :001_tt2:

If your knackered ascending up then may i suggest the use of a wonderful invention called a ladder...very ergonomic

It might be ergonomic to you but it is far from efficient.  Pull down a foot and ascend 6 inches.

the same deal with SRT except you pull a foot and you ascend a foot.

• Like 2

I'm not climbing so much these days but went to help out a nearby crew last week on a tall Oak take down.  That was enough to make me want to make the change to something less demanding than prussiking.  Quite emotional, especially in the heat, T shirt was wringing by the time I'd got up the tree!  Just not sure it's worth the course and the kit for the amount I might use it now....  

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 08.50.06.png