How long before moving to SRT

Nathanzac

So, I finished my climbing qualifications in August. My 1st aerial cutting exam I failed, the climb started with a 15mtr hip thrusting with nothing but a prussik. I was knackered!! (Due to being unfit) Anyway since then I have been climbing with a zigzag and when required, a hand and foot ascender.

I've recently purchased an ART snake anchor, rope wrench setup and about to purchase a Haas Velox. Anyway as the title states, when do you experienced guys advice moving over to SRT? I was advised by a previous employer just to concentrate on prussiking. My argument is I'm 35, just starting out in this business, and would like to get up into the tree as fast and as easily as possible so I can get on with the job I'm being paid for

To be honest I think when you feel ready more than anything. It would be great if you could find someone near you who climbs on it or a rec climb would be another suggestion so you’ve time to learn off someone else.

I don’t know how long you’ve been in he industry but I’m assuming your already learning that it take planning when getting around a tree.

• Like 2

I don't adhere to the theory that everyone should start on a prussik and nothing but.  If I was taking someone on a rec climb, then maybe yes it would be an easy system to just throw on and let them get on with it.

So what i'm saying it, as long as you are competent and have a good level of common sense, and some understanding of the forces involved then I don't see any reason why SRT can't be adopted at any time really.

Good luck with it.  I made the switch but switched back to Ddrt again.  I did give it 6 months but just decided it wasn't for me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I don't adhere to the theory that everyone should start on a prussik and nothing but.  If I was taking someone on a rec climb, then maybe yes it would be an easy system to just throw on and let them get on with it.

So what i'm saying it, as long as you are competent and have a good level of common sense, and some understanding of the forces involved then I don't see any reason why SRT can't be adopted at any time really.

Good luck with it.  I made the switch but switched back to Ddrt again.  I did give it 6 months but just decided it wasn't for me

What did you not like about it Steve?

I only started on a prussik as that's what I was given and my boss used 1.
If I was starting now I'd try them all and use what I liked the best.
Also if I was starting at 35 I'd be in the gym 4 nights a week and on a strict diet. This job is physically brutal on you and starting out climbing you are not efficient and scared so you will sap energy.
I started when I was 22 and I never had to stop on an ascent with a prussik no matter how big the tree, now I'm breathing out my backside at about 10m :)

10 minutes ago, WesD said:

What did you not like about it Steve?

There was lots I loved about it.  I still have all the gear and would consider it for use on certain trees.  Generally though I found it a bit of a faff and not at all fluid like Ddrt.  That was my main issue with it.  I gave it 6 months in the hope things would change, and that was religiously, I didn't touch my Ddrt set up in that time.

I found switching to SRT the biggest challenge was retraining my brain, I'd only been climbing for 2 years on conventional drt systems. I don't think you should wait. The longer you wait the harder it is to switch. It's not usually faster (except for access), it's not usually smoother, but it is more ergonomic and safer (due to a constant friction, less slack, more likely to do redirects to reduce rope angle). I'd have no problems training a newbie on mostly SRT. It's not dangerous like lots of people make out.

Hello,

I've just attended a 4 day course on SRT run by Terry Banyard at Merrist Wood college.

SRT will be a game changer for me at 47 years of age.

Crown access with minimal effort compared to prussik and bodythrust.

I moved to hitchclimber in my second year due to tendonitus was itself revelation.

SRT will take some serious thought and practice working the crown so I'll still be using DRT at times on smaller trees.

Ty

20171027_105452.jpg

20171025_094607.jpg

20171027_105145.jpg

• Like 2