Jump to content
Topher Martyn

Qualifications for MEWP

Recommended Posts

I've got a new colleague who is a highly competent climber and chainsaw operative, but has no MEWP ticket yet.  

 

My question is whether he can go up in our MEWP on his own, with a qualified person on the ground, or whether one of the qualified people needs to go up in the basket with him (which then raises its own set of issues!)

 

Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion
No he needs his to go a Mewp course to prove he is competent.

Trying to find a loophole just isn't worth the hassle.

Encourage him to do a Ipaf course, it only takes a day, isn't that expensive and he will learn something he didn't know.

Regards Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beechwood said:

In my opinion
No he needs his to go a Mewp course to prove he is competent.

Trying to find a loophole just isn't worth the hassle.

Encourage him to do a Ipaf course, it only takes a day, isn't that expensive and he will learn something he didn't know.

Regards Neil

Totally agree with this it only costs £150-£180 and will cover him properly for all he should need.

why wouldn't you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs to do a course. It's illegal without. Also if ground crew couldn't get him down he'd have to know how to sort it himself.  Can't always get a fire engine ladder to all places to effect possible rescue. Also insurance maybe be void if not qualified. If there's a accident then they would look for any reason not to

pay out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lust4life said:

. Also if ground crew couldn't get him down he'd have to know how to sort it himself.  Can't always get a fire engine ladder to all places to effect possible rescue.

If he is a good climber should have no problem getting down if not injured.

But any training is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my ipaf. Felt like a box ticking exercise tbh. Aimed mostly at construction. Didn't learn much, did the test on a miniscule scissor genie lift. Possibly required for you Insurance or whoever is subbing you in (councils etc). Educationally not up to much ( the one I did anyways), didn't relate to arb work at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I did my ipaf. Felt like a box ticking exercise tbh. Aimed mostly at construction. Didn't learn much, did the test on a miniscule scissor genie lift. Possibly required for you Insurance or whoever is subbing you in (councils etc). Educationally not up to much ( the one I did anyways), didn't relate to arb work at all.

Ssssh bill we don’t need any more jobs for the boys who undoubtedly will be reading this.
iPaf course I thought was all right ,not much covering trees but then it was all about setting up and positioning mewps which is what you need to know.... there are enough tickets for saw use !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lust4life said:

He needs to do a course. It's illegal without. Also if ground crew couldn't get him down he'd have to know how to sort it himself.  Can't always get a fire engine ladder to all places to effect possible rescue. Also insurance maybe be void if not qualified. If there's a accident then they would look for any reason not to

pay out....

What law would he be breaking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.