The new Stihl ms500i

Stihl123

Thanks...slightly clearer than mud for me now biggrin.png

Yeah me too! I can sharpen well and flip the bar over once I’ve dressed it but anything past the clutch coming off I’m not so keen.

Interesting that the guy in the vid wasn’t so optimistic about the future of 2 strokes.
  • Like 1

OK, I am an old fart, but the good thing about being an old fart is the history you have seen........I used to ride bikes, the superbikes of the late 80s were pretty much copies of the GP bikes of the day so Yamaha had the RD500 and Suzuki had the RG500. Both bikes were V4 two strokes and went like stink and unfortunately, made a stink so the bike manufacturers came away from making them and majored on four strokes and voila, the GP series of two strokes were overtaken by the four strokes of Moto GP!

There was an Italian superbike manufacturer that thought they had a perfect solution, the manufacturer was Bimota and they created a very light and powerful fuel injected V4 two stroke to overcome US emission laws. In short, it had many issues, bankrupted the company and even sadder, it was found that the injection wasn't the issue but the dodgy crankcases were!

Time will tell if fuel injection is the answer. On a technical note - fuel injection takes away any inlet duration timing constraints as the duration is set by the electronics rather than the position and height of the inlet port assuming air and fuel is fed straight in to the crankcases rather than the cylinder.

Interesting development!

• Like 4

Sounds like KTM are pursuing it. A separate fuel pump that needs its own lubrication system sounds like a lot of tech for a chainsaw. It’s hard to see how the main manufacturers will be able to mass produce this at an affordable price. If the power gains stated are right then considerably lighter and more powerful saws could be on the horizon. Now that is an an exiting prospect. Nano powerheads and big bars!
(Or we could just send our saws to you! [emoji849])
[emoji106]

• Like 1

I can't really see injection being of much benefit over mtronic or autotune it's just a stop gap until more heavy duty and commercial battery chainsaws are available, I've seen 13hp 10300 watt electric motor in RC cars but I'm no engineering genius though so perhaps there's a huge hurdle to overcome to get this tech to work in commercial applications but even though wtf is talking so long, rc batteries don't weigh that much either.

Edited by northman
Spelling

Now that looks like a nice saw!

There is a bit of info in the fuel injection used in the 500 whizzer here.

http://www.stihl.co.uk/the-world-first-stihl-injection-electronically-controlled-fuel-injection.aspx#

There is a a nice animation video on the right called STIHL Injection - a world first, sorry I cant link to the video directly.

In that video posted earlier there wasn't mention of the xtorq/2-mix type of two stroke engines, so combined with this crankcase injection it could be a bit more positive than the bloke in the video portrays. I suppose time will tell but if that stihl saw has the power of a 661 and weighs less than a 461 it will be unbeatable. Well, until someone straps a turbo to one!