The new Stihl ms500i

Stihl123

Yup, saws will go electric more and more. There are constraints on how much HP they make at the moment and that means that the current raft are in the MS150/MS201 area but that will change as time goes on. "20 years"......I reckon 5-10 years to replace up to 60cc and only the big hitters 70-120cc taking longer for the manufacturers to overcome on weight and power source issues.

The technology will mirror bike manufacturers ditching two stroke and cant see it going four stroke but battery power is probably the way forward unless someone creates a sort of two/four stroke hybrid that doesn't use two stroke oil. Possible that we will be forced to use alkalyte fuel in the future but the two strokes we use now will fade out in our lifetimes!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peatff said:

Extinction ? 4 stroke saws would have to be really thought out so as not to be either too heavy or too fragile. You'd need injection and dry sump to be able to hang them on a strop or turn them on their side and that would make them prohibitively expensive.

From what I have heard and read the powers that be do want two stroke engines gone, they dont really care what replaces them and how efficient it is, to a degree.

I guess more of a stihl 4 mix kind of engine but who really knows what the manufactures are developing? But I guess it is going to be more of a move to battery machines. The big brands are certainly developing those products (and have a 10 year plan from what I hear) as soon as there is some leap forward with battery tech it will take over. 

Sort of off on a tangent but the stihl 4 mix, does it achieve lower emissions? I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with it but I know plenty of operators 5 years in who love their machines. I think a lot depends on obviously using decent fuel and oil but how the operator runs the machine. My personal experience is that machines like to be used, having them sitting on idle or sitting in the shed does then no favours. 

• Like 2

Wireless charging is already here on phones so why not a backpack type of battery for an electric saw?
Remotely powered Bluetooth saws.
As long as the EU don’t restrict the wattage on electric saws like they did with vacuum cleaners [emoji849]

19 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

From what I have heard and read the powers that be do want two stroke engines gone, they dont really care what replaces them and how efficient it is, to a degree.

I guess more of a stihl 4 mix kind of engine but who really knows what the manufactures are developing? But I guess it is going to be more of a move to battery machines. The big brands are certainly developing those products (and have a 10 year plan from what I hear) as soon as there is some leap forward with battery tech it will take over. 

Sort of off on a tangent but the stihl 4 mix, does it achieve lower emissions? I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with it but I know plenty of operators 5 years in who love their machines. I think a lot depends on obviously using decent fuel and oil but how the operator runs the machine. My personal experience is that machines like to be used, having them sitting on idle or sitting in the shed does then no favours. 

The 4mix thing will get round the positional situation but as there using a 2 stroke mix...not the solution with emissions. Makita /Dolmar have a True 4 stroke with a system of oil mist lube for the top end and liquid oil in the sump for the crank. I have there Blower with this engine in it ..its good. Honda also have a true 4 stroke with a sump . You can turn the blower into a vac so they have sorted "some" of the position issues out with that one. The valves on the 4 mix and the "true 4 stroke" do need proper service work at the right time , often not addressed . We have got used to not thinking about such things with 2 stroke. 

19 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Always interested to hear of new technology. :)

Take a look at the new design of engines that  Makita /Dolmar are now starting to produce. Reed valves into the crank case from the intake amongst other things...(no i dont mean the ps 6100) look for the ps352. This engine is a full modular construction and is more like a car engine ..ie ..it comes out in one bit . Its not a clamshell as it has its own splittable case in 2 halves. 

The 4 stroke saw was ..Dolmar Ps 550v...not many pics ,but you will find some if you google it. Never made production....Yet ! :)

Edited by Sawchip

3 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Cheers Sawchip. I will check out today machines, sounds interesting.

In regards to post about battery back packs, husqvarna do make them but you have to plug them in with a lead. I don't think you can charge from a distance without microwaving whatever gets in the way!

Sorry for the de rail...just thought this might be something for anyone interested to see . The animation of the engine is the bit I put this up for.