Acceptable or Underhand?

treecreeper arb

6 minutes ago, beechwood said:

It has happened to us a few times, that I'm aware of and probably a few more that I'm not aware of.

TPO and CA applications are a matter of public record and as such some businesses will see direct mail marketing to households who have submitted a application as a sensible bit of targeted marketing.

When we lost our first job to this I was as angry as a couple of you appear to be but I believe in business and life anger is a waste of energy and solves nothing.
I believe you need to learn from the problems you encounter, not bitch about them.
We charge for submitting applications and we make it clear in our T&Cs that it is a reduced rate on the basis that we will be carrying the works, if not the rate will be 200% more.
Now if a client wants to let a competitor undercut us for the works so be it but at least we have charged good money for submitting the application.

Bit brutal but truthful I feel.
Don't get angry get paid!

Regards Neil

That's the important bit. If somebody is going to mess you around, don't be out of pocket.:thumbup1:

• Like 1

It has happened to us a few times, that I'm aware of and probably a few more that I'm not aware of.

TPO and CA applications are a matter of public record and as such some businesses will see direct mail marketing to households who have submitted a application as a sensible bit of targeted marketing.

When we lost our first job to this I was as angry as a couple of you appear to be but I believe in business and life anger is a waste of energy and solves nothing.
I believe you need to learn from the problems you encounter, not bitch about them.
We charge for submitting applications and we make it clear in our T&Cs that it is a reduced rate on the basis that we will be carrying the works, if not the rate will be 200% more.
Now if a client wants to let a competitor undercut us for the works so be it but at least we have charged good money for submitting the application.

Bit brutal but truthful I feel.
Don't get angry get paid!

Regards Neil

Good solution & nicely worded & clear too. 🤛

Sent from my TA-1033 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Thinking about it from from the homeowners perspective.... would I really want to hire a firm that was desperate/unethical enough to try poaching work in this manner?

Also from a contractors point of view, do I want to work for customers who would respond to such businesses?

Nope :)

7 hours ago, MattyF said:

That's why you do it ? , how childish ... IMO like a thief saying I just take it because I can.. it would just lower opinions of you, so you have set out to do what you have achieved if that's the reaction your looking for.

I just like to suck the jam out of other peoples do-nuts.

Ty

4 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Also from a contractors point of view, do I want to work for customers who would respond to such businesses?

Nope :)

Never really understood  (or believed) this attitude. Strikes me as bravado.

I don't really care about my clients moral fibre, I don't judge their suitability to be the recipients of my awesome work (sarcastic emoji) All that interests me is what they what they want done, and can they pay?

I've worked for many, many people who I've disliked and moaned about (in the security of my van) and I'm sure there's a few who've breathed a sigh of relief when I've driven away, it's a business transaction that's all.

I know builders who've turned down work because over the medium term they know the client is going to be an issue, I understand that, they are in or around their house for weeks/months.

Two maybe three days we're out, it's not a marriage.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Never really understood  (or believed) this attitude. Strikes me as bravado.

I don't really care about my clients moral fibre, I don't judge their suitability to be the recipients of my awesome work (sarcastic emoji) All that interests me is what they what they want done, and can they pay?

I've worked for many, many people who I've disliked and moaned about (in the security of my van) and I'm sure there's a few who've breathed a sigh of relief when I've driven away, it's a business transaction that's all.

I know builders who've turned down work because over the medium term they know the client is going to be an issue, I understand that, they are in or around their house for weeks/months.

Two maybe three days we're out, it's not a marriage.

I never make an application or submit a notification unless the client has shaken on the job.

So if they then chose to get an other quote and give the job to another contractor, they are both a liar and a thief (of my time). I don't want to work for either. 

In 20+ year of trading I've only ever had it happen once.  

• Like 1