Stick welding

Andy Collins

Stick also penetrates better for bigger stuff

Without doubt - but remember, if going for a MIG then the narrower wire (0.8mm) actually penetrates further than the thicker wire (1mm, 1.2mm). The arc is concentrated through a smaller cross section.

With regards to the problem of wire rusting - spray the reel with WD40. It will burn off before it affects the weld pool.

Using a MIG also requires quite still air - to allow the shroud of inert gas to shield the weld - so if welding outdoors then the stick might be preferable.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also If your buying a welder, buy a 4 inch grinder aswell. Great for keeping things neat, or getting rust off so its back to bear metal, or for cutting your bits out, or for starting again and cutting through crap welds. Defo get a grinder. and cutting discs and flappy discs.

Stick also penetrates better for bigger stuff

Do they?

Amp for amp I would say they are the same.

In fact I got rid of the oxford arc welder as my mig had more power & I was just not using it any more.

Mig is quicker, easier & more versatile.

Down side is gas cylinder rental costs & special gasses needed for other metals.

(BOC have now got a low user offer)

£ for £ arc would do better as you will get more amps for your money.

1, Without doubt - but remember, if going for a MIG then the narrower wire (0.8mm) actually penetrates further than the thicker wire (1mm, 1.2mm). The arc is concentrated through a smaller cross section.

2, With regards to the problem of wire rusting - spray the reel with WD40. It will burn off before it affects the weld pool.

3, Using a MIG also requires quite still air - to allow the shroud of inert gas to shield the weld - so if welding outdoors then the stick might be preferable.

1, With narrow wire you cant up the amps as far as you can with thicker wire. Farm stuff can take the thicker wire no probs & you might even get into spray transfer with high enough amps.

2, Or remove the reel & keep it inside or save up the little sachet of silica crystals & put in the housing.

3, Yeh big down side to outside MIG'ing, sort out wind breaks / screens.

Without doubt - but remember, if going for a MIG then the narrower wire (0.8mm) actually penetrates further than the thicker wire (1mm, 1.2mm). The arc is concentrated through a smaller cross section.

True but when you look at the cross section, there's a spike of penetration in the middle of the Mig bead and it is shallow down either side whilst the arc penetrate across the whole x section.

I used to fabricate extractor fans for BNFL and they would not allow any mig welding on fans dealing with contaminated waste air for that very reason

I had a go on a mig welder the other day as my mate who does my welding wanted to teach me a lesson ! its not easy upside down trying to weld a half rotten transit! preperation is the key i think to any good welding all surfaces down to sound metal and no rust or its a bloody night mare!

Id always take my stuff to my old farm where i once worked to weld anything up, we had an old oxford oil cooled stick welder, wich was great, i decided to buy my own in the end and went for the 250A version from screwfix, turned out they only billed me for the 150A welder, so i only paid £100!! it has a switch to go from 3 phase to 240v, and will weld up to 180A on 240 at home, its only fan cooled but i have used it a fair bit and its superb!! I would not recommend Screwfix's welding rods though, they're very cheap but i think they get damp in storage, i keep mine ith the airing cupboard and buy the best rods (Boeler) although i hear Murex are good too.

I used to fabricate extractor fans for BNFL and they would not allow any mig welding on fans dealing with contaminated waste air for that very reason

Interesting - please explain - was the width of deep weld (and therefore the seal) unreliable with the MIG?

Stick welding (MMA) gets better penetration because the electrode is wider (Typically the diameter starts at 1.6mm where domestic MIG is 0.6 or 0.8mm) and because MMA sets tend to be full wave rectification because the bigger electrode needs the power.

MIG needs less power and can be half wave which is not as smooth to work with.

My recommendation would be a Cebora 130 MIG. They come badged as Cebora, Snap On, BOC and others.

Run it on pub gas (CO2). It’s not as good as an argon mix but for what you are doing it won’t matter. The bottles are easy to come by, the fill up is cheap and there is no bottle rental to pay.

I have a 250 amp transmig by cigweld and use co2,i have welded several truck trays and sides,with co2 the welding proccess could be described as being more dirty more spatter etc but its much cheaper than argon/mix,

sounds like in the uk you dont pay bottle rental on pub gas?we have to over here.

in a previous life i have used stick welders up to 400 amps and if you are just a casual user, mig is far easier than stick especially if your welding thin stock