Stick welding

Andy Collins

The wire for gasless is a lot more expensive, but it's not like he's talking about doing a lot of welding so the cost of the consumables is not really that relevant. Agree with the comments about keeping the wire dry, but it's not hassle to take it off when you use it. I've got an arc welder and to be honest it hardly gets used whereas the gasless mig does get quite a bit of use.

He's already said that he farms out the bigger structural welding jobs. Sounds like the reason I brought mine for. My weldings not that good, but It's been used numerous times on bits and pieces. The towbar I did the other day I welded up with tacks and then got the bloke down the road to do it properly. Worked nicely.

Just my thoughts

R

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cheap stick welder is a lot more difficult to use than decent inverter kit. I use a Cemont 140 amp inverter, it's nice and light and about the size of a small "Hand luggage" suitcase. The difference between it and the cheap buzz-box welders is amazing, smoother arc and smoother welds.

I'd go to a welding shop and buy a used and battered inverter over a new buzz-box.

My very first welder was a Wiz arc which I still have today . It is a small stick welder with no fan so it cuts out after about 20 mins of welding . Although is great for small repairs , which is why someones always borrowed it . Next welder was a large stick welder from Machine Mart which has proven to be brilliant . Ive made chipper chutes , High sides for trailers ,transits and numerous repairs to all manner of machinery .Ive had it for about 7 yrs plus . I also have a mig but cant seem to get on with it . And like said before it is gasless so wire is expensive . good luck and happy hunting

Would prob be exactly like a Stihl v Husky one :lol:

It'll probably end up more like a Timberwolf vs Schliesing fight. As someone else mentioned, you can't go wrong with an old heavy welder, but they are overkill for occasional use. Machine Mart/ Clarke or SIP aren't a bad place to start. I've just sold my first welder on ebay, a SIP 140 stick welder built in the 70's that I paid 30 quid for from the classifieds in the paper about 8 years, sold again for £30 quid!

Also keep your eyes open for Cebora, Miller or the old Oxford oil cooled welders (the Fordson Major of stick welders!)....

An auto darkening face shield is a good investment, means you get both hands free.

Martin

:thumbup1:

this makes learning to weld 1000 times easier...

no more mask up mask down.

arc is easy and cheap but,

mig welding easy once youve figured the set up, but see the mig welders that offer 'gas or no gas '-

i find that you have to use gas cos, the gas-less option means you have to use copper wire with the flux coating and the welds you get with no-gas mig welding isnt worth toffee. (good for thin welds like on exhaust brackets etc)

so; arc or mig (with gas)

Edited by jonathan hall