Felling Wedge

Robbo90

7 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Gadzooks man!

youre right!

just googled "wood heavier than water".

Do you know of any uk wood that's heavier than water?

boxwood is on the cusp of sinking and so is lilac but i'm not sure that there are any proper trees that are in the UK that will sink. 

holm oak is a possibility i suppose. you're bound to get some dense heartwood from that which could sink.

to sink a wood needs to be heavier than 62.4lbs ft3 and a dry wood is considered to have a 12% moisture content and laburnum, hornbeam, blue gum (E, globulus), hawthorn, apple, plum, robinia and a few obscure prunus species like cherry laurel and similar are about the heaviest of uk grown woods and they are only in the low 50's tops.  there will always be a few exceptions to this and i can think of a few really heavy bits of oak, ash, beech and elm that i've turned in my time but unless someone is growing a really exotic species in their backyard then it's unlikely that you will find any.

Hawthorn will sink when fresh.

Often had me wonder, when it dries and the moisture leaves, it must leave behind a hollow structure. If there was a way to replace the water, with a substance of equal or greater density like a heavy epoxy?

But then: what specific use is there for wood that sinks, homebuilt submarines?

going back to the original purpose of this thread i have made a few wedges from hard heavy woods and the one i made from beefwood was hard and worked but a chunk flew off after a poor impact with my 14lb sledge hammer. i've also hit my movingui wedge badly but that has not broken up and will easily float as it is not a really heavy species and is naturally oily so friction is not a major issue but i'm only using it to peel off some 2x4" from a large 6x6" beam that has 5" long nails every 4 inches.

http://www.wood-database.com/bulletwood/    also known as beefwood as it's the colour of raw steak when freshly cut.

http://www.wood-database.com/movingui/

3 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

Often had me wonder, when it dries and the moisture leaves, it must leave behind a hollow structure. If there was a way to replace the water, with a substance of equal or greater density like a heavy epoxy?

But then: what specific use is there for wood that sinks, homebuilt submarines?

i'd love to know how many UK timbers will sink when fresh???

the use of heavy timbers is not usually down to their weight but other properties like abrasion resistance, durability or fire resistance. they just happen to be heavy too.

lots are used in civil engineering applications like lock gates (the weight helps with that) jetties, piers, pilings, bridges, wharfs, industrial decking on piers, exterior stairs, bollards, street furniture and harbour fenders.

4 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

Yes it leaves an air space, wood without the airspace has a density of about 1.5 times that of water.

PEG poly ethylene glycol is used to displace water and wood treated with that is heavy.

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

Yes it leaves an air space, wood without the airspace has a density of about 1.5 times that of water.

PEG poly ethylene glycol is used to displace water and wood treated with that is heavy.

Seems like that can't be right?

If a wood was denser than water, then all fresh wood ( without the air) would sink in water?