Bunny ear or that what i call them

Skyveiw

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ears, wings whatever you call them I always put mine above the gob/backcut in the tree and can never understand why it's the other way round.

Because if the timber tears, it tears down from the hinge. Unless I'm misunderstanding you

Because if the timber tears, it tears down from the hinge. Unless I'm misunderstanding you

I've knocked a few chunks out and it seems to me putting your ears below is potentially riskier because as it goes over it can make small step cuts that can catch your saw in the kerf. There also seems to be no disadvantage to putting the ears in above, sap wood cuts are sap wood cuts, the main point is to reduce hold preventing tearing of bark and reduce potential to split whilst on spikes, placing the sapwood cuts above achieves the same result with zero risk of potential steps particularly in leaning timber.

It the same as out board cuts as a final cut, it was implied to me that this is to allow the timber to land flat, again the risk and I know plenty who have got their saw stuck in the kerf of falling timber, one climber even broke his leg recently after the saw got stuck in the kerf of falling timber and pulled him off his spikes.

Anything to minimise the saw getting stuck in the kerf is a good thing.

Edited by Marc

hey

was in a discussion with a colleague to day during felling and she never heard of this. now i call bunny ear but it could be wrong name for so what do you call the small cuts you put in below the hinge/ gob to stop the bark tearing down?

skyview

Bunny ears are what you get if you don't put cuts in below the hinge on leaners.

I never thought to give the cuts a special name.

I've knocked a few chunks out and it seems to me putting your ears below is potentially riskier because as it goes over it can make small step cuts that can catch your saw in the kerf. There also seems to be no disadvantage to putting the ears in above, sap wood cuts are sap wood cuts, the main point is to reduce hold preventing tearing of bark and reduce potential to split whilst on spikes, placing the sapwood cuts above achieves the same result with zero risk of potential steps particularly in leaning timber.

It the same as out board cuts as a final cut, it was implied to me that this is to allow the timber to land flat, again the risk and I know plenty who have got their saw stuck in the kerf of falling timber, one climber even broke his leg recently after the saw got stuck in the kerf of falling timber and pulled him off his spikes.

Anything to minimise the saw getting stuck in the kerf is a good thing.

Wee cuts on the side (need to watch how you spell that) is what we call them. I've never known them to be put above the backcut, as it's already cut - if the wood is going to hold or tear it will be from below the back cut / scarf. I agree with previous post that you are weakening the hinge if cut above - if I'm picturing this correctly. Does anyone use the term scarf for gob?

Wee cuts on the side (need to watch how you spell that) is what we call them. I've never known them to be put above the backcut, as it's already cut - if the wood is going to hold or tear it will be from below the back cut / scarf. I agree with previous post that you are weakening the hinge if cut above - if I'm picturing this correctly. Does anyone use the term scarf for gob?

Weather the cuts are above or below it will prevent tearing, and i doubt it would weaken the cut enough to effect fall direction in the tree.

Why wouldn't you put them above? Below you are increasing the chance of creating a step to catch the saw, above you will not and achieve the desired effect.