Old 2 stoke mix is it so bad?

Woodworks

026 Stihl, run on red Stihl 2 stroke mix, could sit in the saw or a jar for 4 months.

Never any issues.

OK

The saw can be a tad harder to start, on first firing, but after that, scheesh.

imho!

I've never had problems with stale fuel, even several years old but with the ethanol content increased I do wonder. Hence I shall put saws away with a little aspen in the carbs.

None of my husky saws retain fuel in the tank after a month or so whereas the strimmers and stihls do.

Would some kind person please explain why 'old' or 'stale' fuel is not good and what the problems might be with using it.

I have a particular interest in this.

Have had health problems and haven't used chainsaw for 6 months.

Need to know what problems I will encounter if I don't drain fuel and refill with fresh.

Basically, the fuel breaks down the lubricating properties of the oil and will eventually cause the exhaust side of the piston to heat up excessively to the point it melts and deposits the molten metal on to the bore, holding the piston rings in their grooves causing loss of compression.

Nothing too serious:sneaky2:

Fact...2 stroke engines dont run for long on a mix that will not provide the lubrication they need..

Tried three times to copy in a link to BP page ..nothing doing. Google ...shelf life of petrol .. and you should find the PDF i tried to link.

Edited by Sawchip

Try it on a pro chainsaw pulling 14000rpm and see how it goes!.! The kit you have mentioned rarely hits much more than 10,000rpm and is under less load!

Your probably right spud but doubt many of the pro saws on here sit idle for long. I am not suggesting it's of no concerned but maybe we don't need to be as paranoid as some might might make out. I don't have 5 litres of mix sitting around for more than a month or two but would happily pull over trimmers and the like after a winter layup.

Until I have a fuel related problem will continue as before.

Your probably right spud but doubt many of the pro saws on here sit idle for long. I am not suggesting it's of no concerned but maybe we don't need to be as paranoid as some might might make out. I don't have 5 litres of mix sitting around for more than a month or two but would happily pull over trimmers and the like after a winter layup.

Until I have a fuel related problem will continue as before.

I agree Beau, my 395xp rarely gets used anymore and is never drained of fuel- yet to have a problem on the odd occasion I come to start it and use it.

Brushcutter sits all winter and again usually fires up pretty promptly come summer.

I agree Beau, my 395xp rarely gets used anymore and is never drained of fuel- yet to have a problem on the odd occasion I come to start it and use it.

Brushcutter sits all winter and again usually fires up pretty promptly come summer.

Hooray thought I was the only one :thumbup1:

Got some work for you here so will message you

Never had a problem personally and I use strimmers after the winter with no issues, same with the odd saw I pick up after a couple of months.

Only time I've ever been hesitant is when a neighbour gave us some 10 year old leaded petrol but that went through the quad no problem.

Perhaps it's to do with how airtight the tanks are but I'd never heard anyone with any problems before I read about it on threads here.