How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

19 hours ago, scbk said:

Cheers, last year was "supersweet 100" (seeds from lidl) which were ok, neither here nor there.

Don't think I've ever grown gardener's delight, was reading online it has been stripped of it's RHS award.

"they felt it was not a cherry tomato. Besides, this cultivar (perhaps because of its popularity and age) is too variable, with many different strains being sold as the same plant. The Forum felt that it is 'not what it should be or once was"

Jesus, reads straight like the judging from our local horticultural show.

2 hours ago, htb said:

Tomatoes pricked out 1st true leaves out 2nd starting to develop all on the windowsill at the moment as -10 outdoors at night. Peas 4" tall in the tunnel and beans sown in modules.

You're early. Or maybe I'm just late. Planning to do a load of sowing this weekend.

Herself is always early with the tomato sowing, starts off in an incubator, then into foil lined box on windowsill, then into polytunnel but covered over at night when the weather is cold as get frosts into May here. She is loves toms and can't wait to get the 1st ones and have a long season. Rest of the veg she does early crops in the tunnel and then main crops outside.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How's everyone's veggies getting on then?

Mine aren't doing great so far this season. We've loads of seedlings inside on window sills;- chillies, toms, cucumbers, courgettes, gourds, peas, sweetcorn None have done much since germinating and being potted on, they've barely grown over the last 2 or 3 weeks. It's odd. It must be either the weather or perhaps some dodgy cheapo compost that I've got. I think the former is more likely as the average temperatures are still quite low. Though I've also got a few hardier things outside in the greenhouse like cabbages and various salad things, they are coming on nicely as usual.

Garlic is looking good on the plus side, and the cherries and plums are having a bumper year, never seen so much blossom. Hopefully a decent amount sets and doesn't get attacked.

Still a little early for the apples but they're just starting to bud and it looks like they'll be following the example set by the Prunus.

• Like 1

Garden centre bought compost quality or rdm brands generally seems to have got alot worse over the last few yrs alot doesn't seem properly composted. Loads of relatively fresh looking woodchip & some plastic bits also in the Miracle Grow brand for example that i got this yr.

Maybe something to do with peat free and the expense of the  alternatives to peat that work best?

Compost does make a big difference, as iv'e noticed before stuff was growing near twice the rate in some brand of compost versus the other. Also watering some composts its hard to keep the right moisture lvl think thats what peat was so good for.