Staff issues

simonm

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the company that sets the mark not the subbie. If they went above and beyond im sure it would be noticed

We are talking freelance here anyhow not bonefide sub contractor

No it's not.

Your company is only as good as the people you employ, whether they are on the books, subbie, or freelancers.

That's just the different mindset of an employee to a sole trader/ employer.

Being your own boss is not for everyone.

Working paye is not for everyone either

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Grass is always greener , but I can assure you being a freelance climber is not a walk in the park... if there was more great jobs in great firms there would be a lot less of us.... seems as we are all so busy cutting each other's throats and keeping job prices down I doubt that will ever happen either.

Paying for your own kit, Ppe and LOLER working in a wider radious that usually meaning longer hours busting your balls on the jobs no one else wants to do or are incapable of some times with incapable ground crew , no sick pay or holidays how is being a subby easier?

The freelancers kit costs nothing in comparison to a companies overheads, all I have ever owned is a climbing kit and a top handle saw with some basic rigging kit, if I lost everything it's about 6-8k to replace.

I guess I was lucky I could pick and choose who I worked for, those horrible jobs no one else wants to do are hardly everyday maybe once a fortnight if that most of the jobs were fairly easy, but once you've been doing them a while it's just par for the course and you take the rough with the smooth I'm not ashamed to admit it I have been shitting myself on jobs just wanting to get down and go home but I stuck it out, only walked on 2 jobs over the last 10 years that I can remember.

So yeah comparatively Matt freelancers have got it easy, I am way more stressed now than I ever was as a freelancer, but I enjoy it.... for the moment.

The freelancers kit costs nothing in comparison to a companies overheads, all I have ever owned is a climbing kit and a top handle saw with some basic rigging kit, if I lost everything it's about 6-8k to replace.

I guess I was lucky I could pick and choose who I worked for, those horrible jobs no one else wants to do are hardly everyday maybe once a fortnight if that most of the jobs were fairly easy, but once you've been doing them a while it's just par for the course and you take the rough with the smooth I'm not ashamed to admit it I have been shitting myself on jobs just wanting to get down and go home but I stuck it out, only walked on 2 jobs over the last 10 years that I can remember.

So yeah comparatively Matt freelancers have got it easy, I am way more stressed now than I ever was as a freelancer, but I enjoy it.... for the moment.

I must admit i dont do a lot of freelance climbing now but when i do i class it more as a day off. Thats how it feels at times to me. No stress or anything to think about. I know i can turn up do my job spot on, have a laugh and go home.

Nice once in a while.

No it's not.

Your company is only as good as the people you employ, whether they are on the books, subbie, or freelancers.

Ok what if a company is only one man. Does a good standard of work. Needs a man for the day to do same work whatever it is and clean up like needed.

Thats just a normal day of work. Nothing to need an award or to wear a cape for :001_tt2:

I do agree. A company is only as good as its workers. Whom should get paid a decent rate. All should work hard and have fun! Thats all i want

Ok what if a company is only one man. Does a good standard of work. Needs a man for the day to do same work whatever it is and clean up like needed.

Thats just a normal day of work. Nothing to need an award or to wear a cape for :001_tt2:

I do agree. A company is only as good as its workers. Whom should get paid a decent rate. All should work hard and have fun! Thats all i want

Surely that's the point. A subbie needs to be at least as good if not better than the in house people as bad work will ruin a company far quicker than good work will make one

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'll see you next Tuesday if you need a hand. Plenty of experience on the saw!

Is it your company mark I thought you worked for heritage?

I'm fully aware of what's involved in running a company paying wages and finance and working late at night after a hard day doing quotes invoice and planning apps but will still maintain freelancing when You can not and have no choice as you need the money to keep a roof over your head and family and build a business choose who you work for really as there is nothing else on offer ! .. grass is always greener!

Any way .... in ten years I went through 8 staff members building a business up ...I could not afford more than £80 a day for a groundy but I was never surprised when they left nor did I do any things to discourage them from bettering them selfs just always said if you leave please give me as much notice as possible out of those 8 only 4 remained on in the industry ,3 had already been in it so I guess just needed more time in it before deciding there next move but those 4 all are doing really well and I'm proud to of had a part in what ways I could... only one of those lads did I fall out with that left suddenly and left me up sh creek!! So my point kind of is if you treat them fairly and give them a bonus if they are due one if they decide to leave and give you plenty of notice and maybe even help train or give there replacement a few pointers it does not put you in a position that gives you sleepless nights and stress ! But you can never blame any one for wanting to move up or better them selves.