AA / HSE consultation on Toppers

kevinjohnsonmbe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many think it's operator error rather than training deficiency or hazardous tools?

This.

Not really an expert on the subject of the use of a saw in the tree as a creature of the ground but i on occasion i do it. Only time i have any issues is when i'm too lazy or not confident enough to get to where i really need to be.

It must of been late 90s or early 2000s when we had play nice with the 020 or we'll take them away. Seems we're heading back there in that direction.

Still think the most hazardous part of my job is the M42 , A38 or the Coventry ring road on the way to climb and cut trees.

Seriously though, I think complacency is the killer that creeps up on you.

You don't suddenly become complacent, it happens gradually and then coupled with bad practice that has become a habit, you have a recipe for disaster. Poor work position, fatigue and rushing to get the job done late in the day are all components of accidents. It's usually when two or more of these things combine that disaster strikes.

Perhaps a component built into the saw courses on "the anatomy of a chainsaw accident" taught to candidates might guard against future bad practice and complacency. It would be an uncomfortable and unpleasant part of the course for sure but if it saved lives it would be worth it. Personally I think the safety features in modern top handled saws are very good.

I think tip guards are the ARB equivalent of the old proposal to fit leg protectors to all motorcycles (if anyone remembers that)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I think they may have made up their minds already and are hoping for data to back them up.

One handing a saw is a factor to injury, I've seen it happen, very experienced climber, kick back to chest, not pretty.

Work positioning is key to help prevent incidents.

Fatigue is a factor.

Rushing on badly priced work.

Finally, accidents happen no matter how experienced, you can never legistate for the random.

Edited by High Scale

Thinking about it, the only way an accident comes to HSE attention is when it is reported or high profile.

Banning sale of new toppers might be achievable, but banning use of existing units won't be.

So existing units will become treasured and cared for (no bad thing) and their use will continue.

Occasional accidents will still happen, but after the death or injury, the unfortunate victim will then face an HSE prosecution....

Problem (if a genuine "problem" actually exists) NOT solved...