ibc / potato bix seasoning

tomm156

I watched the water going through it on ours. What happens is rain does gets caught on the face and slowly tracks to the back through the holes then when you get a gust of wind these droplets get thrown onto the wood.

I've noticed the same happening on the prevailing wind side of our polytunnel netting. Although we don't store logs in there, just grow flowers.

cheers, steve

i was also wondering if any of you get problems with the logs in the middle of the cages or vented bags not dying/going mouldy, as its really only the logs on the edge that get airflow??

No problems here. My cages aren't in a particularly exposed site so horizontal rain isn't an issue.

I don't see why there wouldn't be airflow in the middle of the cages; the logs are thrown in and you can clearly see huge amounts of airspace. But whatever the hypothesising experience says 'no problems with middle logs'.

My roof consists of a 1.25m wide scaffold sheet laid along a row of cages. Of course the sides get wet in any rain that isn't vertical but it soon dries off.

Please do share your scientific findings Dave?

If the rain is no longer falling onto the logs from above, but is tricking down the net, only the wind can blow the water onto the logs off the net. The debris net I have is quite a good wind break, so the distance the wind can blow the water must be limited.

So I would expect that if the net is suspended far enough from the logs they should be protected.

If the rain is no longer falling onto the logs from above, but is tricking down the net, only the wind can blow the water onto the logs off the net. The debris net I have is quite a good wind break, so the distance the wind can blow the water must be limited.

So I would expect that if the net is suspended far enough from the logs they should be protected.

Thing is if it stops the wind blowing through it so also stops the wind drying them between the rain. I now leave them fully exposed then when dry try to completely protect them either in barns or with old corrugated sheeting leaned up on the side of the prevailing winds

Thing is if it stops the wind blowing through it so also stops the wind drying them between the rain. I now leave them fully exposed then when dry try to completely protect them either in barns or with old corrugated sheeting leaned up on the side of the prevailing winds

I thought the idea was to use the netting once they are dry.

https://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/toptex-wood-storage-cover

This stuff would do a better job than debris netting. If you store the IBC's in rows of 10. (3 high then 4 high then 3) the water would run off the tops and air would flow well underneath the pyramid. It's the same way we store straw although the straw sheets we use aren't breathable so wouldn't use them on logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk