Fishing addicts?

Big J

Had a great day at the local trout fishery on the short (3.3 or 3.6m) pole yesterday after the roach. Ended up with 585 small roach for about 14lb, as well as 9 trout (mostly rainbows, but a couple of smaller browns to just under 4lb).

Also had three small pike to 8lb, as they tend to hit the keep nets and a deadbait fished a couple of foot from the net quickly gets a take.

After nearly 600 fish yesterday I was shattered when I got home!

Never had the pleasure to pole fish it's an art on its own well done on those fish you caught

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I didn't start until last August, always thinking that it was faffy and complicated. In actual fact (provided you aren't fishing at extreme distance) it's much simpler, and the presentation of bait and effectiveness of striking is much improved. I love close range fishing, and being able to sneak a float and bait into a tiny nook in a near side (or indeed far side) margin is deadly.

With the trout fishery, because it's deep close in there is no need to fish distance and the short (but entirely elasticated) pole comes into it's own. The turnaround time for hooking and unhooking small fish and then putting the bait back in is incredibly short and the 3m of elastic (which will stretch to over 20m if required) will handle much larger fish quite easily. Playing a fish on the pole (especially when equipped with a puller kit, so you can increase or decrease the pull on the elastic) is great fun. Highly recommended!

• 1 year later...

Sea trout and a salmon pics from this year , salmon was from late June and first off the beat I fish but this week has got to be the hardest fishing I’ve done yet in these conditions! Having taken the last week off as the end of July is the usually a great month for sea trout a few salmon and loosing 5 over the last week and one first thing this morning and resisting the urge to snap the rod and hoy it in the river this kind sea trout had the decentency to stick and it made a good lunch cooked in butter with some garden veg! 

41A9802F-A3FC-49B4-9A76-5065AEDFBD48.jpeg

89AAC3C5-9229-4FFC-8F57-53C95CA4D86D.jpeg

348F4A4F-BA2C-4648-9C5E-CB2D56088588.jpeg

9B50143C-24D7-41E3-BE82-14C20202F4C2.jpeg

• Like 6