how'r we supposed to compete

DN22 Gardening

You can't compete with them so not worth bothering... that sort of customer you really don't need or want anyway. If the public made a habit of asking for NPTC qualifications and insurance it wouldn't happen would it...

But I have only been asked to show the paperwork (for private work) twice in 8 years which tells you how little the general public knows about tree work in this country. We are just half a notch up from jobbing gardeners.

:thumbdown:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the first post none of us really know what the job was done for. He could have been talking out of his backside. When he gets the wood home he still has to cut it and split it with his diy kit. You have no problem competing with people who dont value their time as there is not alot of them about.

You can't compete with them so not worth bothering... that sort of customer you really don't need or want anyway. If the public made a habit of asking for NPTC qualifications and insurance it wouldn't happen would it...

But I have only been asked to show the paperwork (for private work) twice in 8 years which tells you how little the general public knows about tree work in this country. We are just half a notch up from jobbing gardeners.

:thumbdown:

Spot on Rob, i have been asked twice for certs and insurance for domestic work, Every commercial firm i do work for has my stuff and H+S stuff on file, only to cover there own arse mind.

I have been refered to "as the gardener" quite a few times, normally get the tree man or the wood cutter. The gen public dont really value tree work as such and most dont really value trees like they should. All those leaves all over the drive is a right mess you know!

A local neer-do-well expat Brit near us has decided to buy a chainsaw (I'm going to get me a really big pro saw that will do everything) and offer himself on the black as a 'treework'.

Reckons he is going to buy a cherrypicker and work from that.:confused1:

I can't wait, I really can't...:sneaky2:

Might send him a sachet of Celox and a safety pin.:biggrin:

A local neer-do-well expat Brit near us has decided to buy a chainsaw (I'm going to get me a really big pro saw that will do everything) and offer himself on the black as a 'treework'.

Reckons he is going to buy a cherrypicker and work from that.:confused1:

I can't wait, I really can't...:sneaky2:

Might send him a sachet of Celox and a safety pin.:biggrin:

Save your money for the wreath instead :001_rolleyes:

saw a customer in the pub last night and got a right bollocking.

quoted him £300-00 to take down an ash n a syc in his garden.

thought it was a fair price

a "mate" of his at work has just done it for £20-00 a tree :confused1:

said he'd done it just for the firewood.

the trees were fairly straightforward fells, but when asked about insurance etc, the bloke shook his head, called me a conman and walked away.

wtf are you supposed to do ???

Look, Im sorry mate but I really needed that firewood, theres no need to go all snooty bout it. hahaha:001_tt2:

I'm afraid that personally I think it's you that has not respect, just look at the language used in your post.

He's got an hourly rate just like all of us, yep his may be lower,but he also won't have the work we have. By the sounds of it he's doing a couple of trees a year and is more than happy. Fair play to the guy.

What knowledge of the tree does he need, he's felling it, he's learnt how to do it properly and away he goes. Can't see how he's undermining anyone as it doesn't sound like he's pretending to be an arborist, just someone that will fell the odd tree.

Just my tuppence worth.

R

Yes the bad choice of words does detract from the comment . I never really took much notice .:001_smile: . I bet he feels better for getting it of his mind though .:lol:

Yep that's fair enough a rant can make us all feel better. I just find that more and more people are blaming others for their lack of work, and it bugs me.

I'm quiet but it's because I like to make a good living. The jobs I do I earn good money on. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not and if the competition can do it cheaper that I want to fair play to them. Every job that I've done in the past on the grounds side is still being done, but I chose not to do it for the price that someone is doing it. Am I charging to much - I don't think so. Is the competition to cheap, who knows if they are they'll be sleepless not me.

I'll be out kayaking whilst their working!!

R

R