Trump Petition

matelot

Well shucks!

An there I thought we were Stihl arguing about the merits, or otherwise of the Husquavarna brand.

And anyway, indeed & obviously "in my opinion"

But I would still argue that Dewey was absolutly correct, we should not NEED religion, to live a good and fufilling life.

Or a Dave Allen put it "may your God(s) go with you".

Me?

I imagine I am coming round to a mostly Buddist way of thinking, in attempting to attempt to live in harmony with nature and other people.

Live and let live, incl rodents & other potentially destructive wildlife, stop catching fish for "sport", & lovingly rearing birds to blast out of the Sky, etc. etc.

Agreed. If you need to be told how to behave then your moral compass must be skewiff to some degree through lack of empathy. I tend more to the pagan rather than the Buddhist, respecting nature and only killing animals for purpose rather than sport.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. If you need to be told how to behave then your moral compass must be skewiff to some degree through lack of empathy. I tend more to the pagan rather than the Buddhist, respecting nature and only killing animals for purpose rather than sport.

But a moral compass, right or wrong, good or bad are learned behaviour.

As an infant, right or wrong has no meaning, until you are taught by those that raise you the concept of right or wrong simply doesn't exist.

So how is it wrong for people to teach this right or wrong distinction by weaving it into a story? It helps people makes sense of the world.

Paganism is a religion btw...:biggrin:

The CoI rector in our village, retired aged about 80 having given his long and unmarried life to the Parish, proper old Gent that he was, with (like Father Brown on the TV) a very balanced view on the vagaries of humankind.

Once confided in me that he reckoned his liftime of ecumenical work had most probably been in vain, given the Tree hugging proclivities of the Pagens in his congreation.:lol:

'e warny wrong either!

But a moral compass, right or wrong, good or bad are learned behaviour.

As an infant, right or wrong has no meaning, until you are taught by those that raise you the concept of right or wrong simply doesn't exist.

So how is it wrong for people to teach this right or wrong distinction by weaving it into a story? It helps people makes sense of the world.

Paganism is a religion btw...:biggrin:

I've known several people whose upbringing was less than ideal who as adults are most helpful and caring to those less fortunate than themselves. I have also known people whose parents were lovely, caring people whose offspring are/were deeply unpleasant, selfish individuals. It's the old nature v nurture argument but what would make somebody veer from their upbringing in such cases? My comment about paganism was a response to the comment on Buddhism. While I never claimed to be non-religious, I am not a practising pagan but I do think the basic, indeed only, pagan tenet of 'do what you will yet hurt no other' is a good building block. :001_smile:

Easy to apply that rationale to atheism.

The worst atrocities (possibly ever) in modern history were perpetrated by atheists.

Hitler's social Darwinism and Stalin's atheist systematic extermination of tens of millions far outweigh any of the atrocities committed in the name of religion.

Man is a nasty piece of work.

What can science tell us about "evil"?

Science doesn't have all the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

False analogy. Neither Hitler - who,btw, claimed to be a Xtian - or Stalin used atheism as motivation or justification to carry out their atrocities - you could just as easily claim that the fact that they both had moustaches led them to undertake such heinous crimes.

As for ''far outweighing any atrocities committed in the name of religion'', possibly the greatest genocide in rrecorded history was the one carried out on Hindu India by the Mughal Empire, truly staggering numbers that dwarf the efforts of Hitler and Stalin combined. Best not mention the religion responsible, wouldn't want to be accused of possessing any 'phobias' :wink:

False analogy. Neither Hitler - who,btw, claimed to be a Xtian - or Stalin used atheism as motivation or justification to carry out their atrocities - you could just as easily claim that the fact that they both had moustaches led them to undertake such heinous crimes.

As for ''far outweighing any atrocities committed in the name of religion'', possibly the greatest genocide in rrecorded history was the one carried out on Hindu India by the Mughal Empire, truly staggering numbers that dwarf the efforts of Hitler and Stalin combined. Best not mention the religion responsible, wouldn't want to be accused of possessing any 'phobias' :wink:

Hitler a Christian? I bet Dietrich Bonhoeffer would beg to differ...,

05a6ff653de99837d8c233772c643402.jpg

The church in nazi Germany is an interesting subject..

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Care to enlighten us on these truly staggering numbers?

My limited knowledge of the period suggests that though there certainly was violence, one of the more remarkable things was the way the empire allowed other religions to be, and to absorb and integrate sanskrit (Hindu) knowledge.