How to tell if you need a towing licence

Justme

I think that copper had to take his test again if I remember correctly . It was then that people started to photo copies of their licence before sending them off for renewal .

And so did loads of other bikers.

When I finally got around to applying for my plastic licence, I 'lost' my paper original one. Fortunately, after the new one arrived- with all the correct entitlements, I found it again.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm ever in a similar situation to Rich, what would be the best way to preserve my C1+E 12000kg?

This is what really p!sses me off - I've held my class 1 for over 20 years, passed my car test over 25 years ago but if I don't pay the doctors and opticians to renew my class 1 next year and every five thereafter I can't tow my 1700kg chipper or 3.5T trailer behind a 7.5T :cursing::cursing:

Regards,

Steve.

Doesn't that come down to taxation class? They used to be able to put some sort of living accommodation in HGVs which would enable a tax class change and someone with a car licence could drive it.

I'm pretty sure taxation class has no bearing on what license you need, nor does it make a difference licence-wise if you drive a motorhome or a scrap metal truck. Both instances you just go for it and plead ignorance:thumbup:

It does have implications for speed limits though, as motorhomes under 3500kgs have the same speed limits as cars, where as the vans they are based on don't as commercial vehicles

This is what really p!sses me off - I've held my class 1 for over 20 years, passed my car test over 25 years ago but if I don't pay the doctors and opticians to renew my class 1 next year and every five thereafter I can't tow my 1700kg chipper or 3.5T trailer behind a 7.5T :cursing::cursing:

Regards,

Steve.

So about £25/year to save us from your potential cataracts and heart attacks?

Seems reasonable to me:biggrin:

Oh, if it's just simple bribery I'll be ok then!

(To Steve).

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Annoys me that when the computer system changed the licenses again in '97 that they automatically slapped the 107 restriction on our 7.5T rights.

Regards,

Steve.

So about £25/year to save us from your potential cataracts and heart attacks?

Seems reasonable to me:biggrin:

Saved by a smiley......

So I'm ok to tow 3.5T behind a 3.5T until I'm 70 years old with no regulation or checks, but I go 1kg over 750kg behind a 7.5T at the ripe old age of 45 and you need to be protected from any potential cataracts and heart attacks?

:biggrin:

Regards,

Steve.

Annoys me that when the computer system changed the licenses again in '97 that they automatically slapped the 107 restriction on our 7.5T rights.

Regards,

Steve.

Tell me about it mate.

I photo copied it and even screenshot the dvla's page and your entitlements for the license the day before I sent it off.

It came back three days later after I was promised it would return with 'exactly' the same entitlements as it currently had.

But they had slapped the 107 towing restriction on there. Two letters later and the imbecile and the senior imbecile just looked at a screen and sad computer says know.

They just kept saying but you passed your test before 1997 blah, blah, blah.

I told them no! I actually passed my test in 1992. I know when I passed as I was actually there unlike the person on the phone who wasn't born then!

They are an absolute joke.

Just one of the reason I will be glad to see the back of this fair isle.

So if you're driving a 7.5 tonner for someone you can only tow a sub-750 chipper now?

They really are a bunch of cretins.

Yes if you have c1+E with the 107 note.

Be aware that once you put the chipper on the back of the 7.5 tonne you must use the tachograph as the 100km exemption no longer applies as your MAM exceeds 7.5 tonne