Licenced small arb contractors?

petestarbuck

Not just Bartletts many others as well.

Being aaac doesn't actually mean anything, in the scheme of things it is very affordable to us to be part of the aaac scheme and the support and help they offer makes it worth it. For us.

I do get frustrated by it though, and when quoting it's not a selling point and I never make mention of the fact we are aaac approved as it really means nothing to the client imo, to say aaac contractors offer a higher quality service to industry approved code of practice is nonsense there are many companies who operate in our area who are not aaac approved who work to equally high standard to us and often cheaper.

For us and commercial clients having chas or similar is more of a selling point, the ability to produce good quality RAMS also makes the difference, having CSCS is not this has been waived for us on many sites as we currently do not have it.

I am looking at getting the core team through the "relevant" (I say relevant as some of us do have CSCS cards but they are just labourer cards) going for ROLO CSCS will cost us probably £700 per man with 8 to put through this, which is a bit of a burden but going forward for us it may help.

We all have green labourer cards, never been asked for anything else, also never not been asked for them on a site so cscs and chas is more important than aaac Imo

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use HS direct as our health and safety consultants and are a member of

SMAS, its not cheap but 100% necessary. Even the smaller developers now are asking contractors for accreditation. When you look at the expense of the kit and wages it pales into insignificance .

HS direct will bash you into shape and make the SMAS easier to comply with https://www.hsdirect.co.uk/

SMAS Home - SMAS

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers

Anyway whose interested in the benifits and disbenifits of becoming an AAAC only has to give techie Paul a call - he don't bite!

Any can attend the free workshops about the scheme, without obligation, to get up to speed on the scheme. But if you're a small company, doing smaller domestic jobs, you'd better be prepared to up your game, because he'll tell you that you'll price yourself out of that market.

The workshops are really informative, worth going to even just to see if the schemes for you

Why would this be the case? Price yourself out of the market

We all have green labourer cards, never been asked for anything else, also never not been asked for them on a site so cscs and chas is more important than aaac Imo

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

I agree, when you say green cscs cards you men rolo?

Can't remember the colour of mine of the top of my head.

We have been waived the cscs due to our comprehensive rams staff qauls and accreditations, but I am aiming to get the team through ththe cscs again.

Can't afford it mate, it's kinda like the straw and camel. Ive spent years trying to get properly established and get in on some good jobs, only to repeatedly be knocked back due to accreditation. I dont have the finances to invest in anything other than equipment and running costs, and I'm pretty sure there are many others out there in the same boat. It's not like I have a grudge against the A A, far from it. Anything that helps us get recognised as an industry, not just over priced gardeners is a positive thing. I'm just thinking of a less costly option. I have seen 3 very good outfits fold as a result of the investment required to become aaac!!

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

What sort of work are you losing out on? I struggle to understand why anyone who is dealing with a business that can't afford AAAC, seems to want to require it, i.e why are they asking you to quote for work that you can't do anyway. The jobs that require industry accreditation (not just aaac) pay for it, you don't jump through hoops and still charge no money. It all gets lumped on to the bills for commercial clients throughout the year.

Why would this be the case? Price yourself out of the market

Paul said, and I hope he will correct me if I'm wrong, that new AAACs were reporting that the costs involved in creating and maintaining accreditation were enough to mean that they could no longer be competitive in the cheapest, lowest end of the domestic market.

I took that to mean things like easy hedgecutting maintenance, smaller pruning and felling jobs, bread and butter stuff that you use to fill an odd hour.

My thinking is that sole traders and smaller outfits be recognised as safe, qualified and competent without going through the bank breaking hoops to.be A A affiliated. Bigger jobs will always go.to.bigger outfits that can absorb such costs, but why can't there be a trade organisation for us lesser mortals which recognises our commitment to doing the job properly? We don't all have financial backing or good credit scores, does this make us lesser arborists?

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Reputation, recommendations, repeat business.

Theres tons of work to be had from people who haven't heard of the AA.

Represent yourself professionally, work professionally and it will come anyway.

If you want to expand and join the big boys - best play by the rules.