Opinions on stump grinders

Ty Korrigan

We came to the conclusion that you need a narrow access machine and at the time the HB20 was the best out there. The next size up were only a couple of HP more so while easier to operate were not much more capable. We therefore got a bigger grinder HB2150 xp to complement the HB20 which at 38hp is a much more capable machine.

If I were to only have one however it would be the HB20 as it can grind any size stump if it needs to, whereas the bigger machine can't get to half our stumps (and cost 3x as much)..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a hb20 and a 252

Love using the 252 anywhere i can a lot less effort.

Maybe the thing with the hb20 for me is that if your doing small stumps you pass over them then it drops off the stump then ypu have to lift it and swing back the other way then drop off that side lol Stumps 8" dia downwards pita!

Also feel like there should be another lower setting for the handle on the hb 20.

Not sure if some of you lads are the grind to 150mm brigade or not but i like to fully grind. When the hb20 is in the bottom of the stump the handles are way up in the air. Then all the weights far forwards and its a sod to upright and level the grinder

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't the predator 38x/rx be a good machine at this size/ price point ? I've been looking at them recently and on paper they appear to be a good compromise for access and presumably retain pretty good performance as they're still belt drive. Anyone got experience with them ?