Cortisone Injection...??

Logged On

An injury I picked up a few months ago in my right elbow joint, just does not want to settle down / sort itself out.....

Still have a constant stabbing pain in there no matter what I've been using...

Elbow support, deep heat, ibuprofen gel and now voltarol gel (different ingredients to ibuprofen gel), and it's still not getting any better....

So, on Saturday, the wife's booked me into the doctors.

If he says they can give me an injection, should I have it??

As I've heard that it can sometimes NOT work, and others say it does?

I'm just thinking will it be the end of my logging days if I can't get it put right once and for all...??? :confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its your decision but My advice would be not to have it.

I have chronic tennis elbow.

I was supposed to have it last week in my right elbow but i decided against it last minute.

The injection can cause muscle wastage and although it may give you short term relief it will only mask the pain and you would carry on as normal until it returned/ wore off.

So if your going to rest and change the way you do things that caused it in the first place then it could work or give you relief while you recover.

However, if you are just going to carry on like i would, as though its an instant fix, its not advisable.

My tendon has started to degenerate and form scar tissue so i will most likely end up having surgery to remove the tissue and have physio to build it back up.

I have been told there are three treatment options dependant on how severe you injury is and how long you have had it.

Physio, injections, surgery.

Or you could do what i have done for years.

Just ignore it and take pain killers and anti inflammatories, wear an arm clasp, crack on until its really really bad.

If its not been damaged to badly for too long, rest will heal it. Easier said than done.

Im not a medical expert so they are the ones you should direct your question to.

But its my advice, from my experience.

I hear you Matt.

I used a clasp, Physio, ice packs, anti inflams, and rest when possible. Most importantly I ditched the things that were causing it.

The injection was the final piece in the jigsaw for me.

Pretty much a last resort, though, and not a great idea to have many.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Had the injections for tennis elbow and frozen shoulder, didn't work for either, but they do work for some people. Has to be worth a go as the pain is misery.

I had to get surgery for my shoulders and physio for tennis elbows.

Shoulders are perfect now, elbows are ongoing exercises to keep pain at bay.

Had the injections for tennis elbow and frozen shoulder, didn't work for either, but they do work for some people. Has to be worth a go as the pain is misery.

I had to get surgery for my shoulders and physio for tennis elbows.

Shoulders are perfect now, elbows are ongoing exercises to keep pain at bay.

I would put put myself down as a grin and bear it candidate, but when I gave myself a bad bout of tennis elbow from pulling out old fences and carrying a saw all day, I gave in and had the injection. When I went back for the checkup the right elbow was fine as I had really made an effort not to do bad things to it, but my left shoulder was crippled from ...... pulling out fences and carrying a saw all day. I got the doc to wack a load of the magic in it, and got a contractor in to finish the fence. Both fine now.