Petrol v diesel long and short term costs...

Ty Korrigan

Diesel all the way, torque ( the bit that matters) and more of it produced at a lower RPM, rebated fuel cost, end of.

Diesel chainsaw?

Cars running ( diesel)

They do take longer to warm up on a cold day, mine is still zero road tax from when diesel was going to save the planet.

I`ll get my coat.

It'll be a bit damp from that coat rack today

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At today's exchange rate of 1.20 E85 would be around 70p per litre.

The other advantage is that unlike petrol you can claim back the vat.

Ty

My old boss just called round to chip some shrubs for me, he used a promark with a Wisconsin engine in the past and said the petrol cost was crippling. Even the 27hp Kohler in the dosko stump grinder can use 40 litres of petrol in a hard day.

• 3 weeks later...
My old boss just called round to chip some shrubs for me, he used a promark with a Wisconsin engine in the past and said the petrol cost was crippling. Even the 27hp Kohler in the dosko stump grinder can use 40 litres of petrol in a hard day.

From memory, my old Bandit HB20 with a 27hp Kohler burned 4.5litres per hour.

Am I about right there?

I was talking to a stumpgrinder supplier this week who informed me the 25hp was 10.2litres per hour and the 35hp was 12.5litres per hour.

Ty

Ah HAH!

Found this usefull link with the info from a manufacturer:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachments/fuel-economy-web-version_3-10-pdf.194055

US gallons to litres is 3.78

Ty

The interesting thing is that the diesels have better full load economy than even the fuel injected petrol engines. This suggests lower than expected compression ratios on the petrol engines.

Diesels generally perform better at low loads and it's not as if a chipper is running constantly at the point the stress control cuts in so much of its life it is at working revs but low load, which a diesel is better at.

From memory, my old Bandit HB20 with a 27hp Kohler burned 4.5litres per hour.

Am I about right there?

I was talking to a stumpgrinder supplier this week who informed me the 25hp was 10.2litres per hour and the 35hp was 12.5litres per hour.

Ty

You're going to do a lot more than 1.25 times more stumps with the 35 over the 25, so it's more economical in real terms.