Will horses chew sweet chestnut posts?

Fencing contracts do not like using chestnut as its not a uniform product and you have to choose the next post rather then just pick the next one up. I do fencing as well before anyone says any thing.

Mustard may stop them worth a try and a laugh if it works.

Edited by woody paul

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The several fence contractors I've asked have generally been keen on creosote, and mentioned difficulties getting SC or any other wood. Not sure if this is because it's difficult for them to get, or they just want to stick to suppliers and products they know...

Hadn't really considered larch, I wanted SC as it lasts really well. But I think larch is also pretty good...

Yes creosote redwood posts are a lot more expensive than SC and more uniform but horses will have a go at most woods you have a good supplier not too far from you it's batsford sawmill near longleat who have a good range of creosote products

You could also coat the rails with creosote mixed with a little sump oil or red diesel to put them off

Im a fencing contractor- I like using Chestnut cos its a 'clean' product to deal with and i think it blends in to the enviroment alot better than uniform products. The only thing about it i find slightly irksome is that it can split down the post when your knocking them in- particulaly with a machine knocker- Iv had strainers split right down the middle if the grounds hard.

If you get Chestnut then the peeled ones are generally more durable- SC sapwood doesnt last two minutes so getting as much heartwood into the post is key.

Supply has never been as issue for me and i buy by the artic load, but i think contractors can be put off for smaller jobs as buying by the artic is usually the only way to get it else transport kills it- unless you are lucky enough to live near a local coppice...

Not a fan of creosote myself- i regularly use ex telegraph pole strainers and no doubt nothing beats them for durability but dont like handling it or the dust it creates if you have to cut into them. As for horses, I put a chestnut horse fence up last year and i pass regularly- they have nibbled a bit on the bark but have not really gone for the timber so must taste funny or something!

Hi all

I'm looking at fencing off a corner of paddock with horses on the other side. I'd like to use SC so it'll last, but a fencing chap wondered if the horses would chew the SC posts? He knows they won't eat creosoted posts, but I'm not convinced modern creosote will last as long as SC. There will be a single strand of barbed wire along the top, but I imagine if horses want to chew the posts they'll find a way! Do horses find SC tasty?

Cheers.

My sisters horses have chewed the chestnut posts we put in ,I have creosoted them now and it has solved the problem.

Thanks all, useful info.

The fencing will be post and wire, not post and rail, so hopefully there won't be too much to nibble. If there is, I'll slap some creosote / wire on the post tops. Maybe two or three strands of barbed instead of just one - don't want the horses leaning on it.

Moores, I'm actually near Chepstow now - should update my profile. And I need I think about 5 strainers, plus enough posts for 150m odd of fencing. Do you come out this far?

Horsey folk generally don't like barb wire- it rips their coats to shreds. IMO barb wire is pretty overrated stuff and farmers use it mainly becAuse they think they should. I have seen cows push straight through a barb wire fence snapping the wire in the process. It doesn't stop them pushing on the fence. I have succefully put up 1000s meters of stock netting with plain wire on top and it contains all sorts of livestock just as well without the danger it poses to them(and deer for that matter) I hate barb wire!