Potus ???

TimberCutterDartmoor

Next POTUS?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Next POTUS?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

I know it was predicted years ago and they built the LHC to find it, among other things.

It was "predicted" because for all their intellectual power they could not make sense of the "big bang". It just wasn't possible that it could happen whichever angle they came from.

So Peter Higgs came up with the theory of the Higgs Boson, a magic particle that ties all the other theories together leading to the creation of solid matter as we know it. It only came about to fill the hole in all their other theories and because they started off with the premise that there actually WAS a "big bang" and they needed to figure out how it happened. But what they've actually done over the years is prove that it's immensely improbable that it ever did.

The Higgs Boson hasn't been found. They released a statement saying that they'd collected data which pointed to it's existence, which inside a week of clever PR had become "finding" it, but in reality it has not yet been found.

Forty million collisions per second for how many years the collider has been running and they still haven't found it. Yet strange how many people have been bluffed in to thinking that the "big bang" is actually proven science when in fact it is just every bit as mythical as our "sky daddy".

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read a really good SF novel(or short story) based on the premise of an intelligent civilization developing computers and conquering space travel to explore and settle throughout the Universe, finally developing AI which gradually and peacefully replaced the species that had developed it, all culminating in first a physical supercomputer with AI, then evolving to a non physical Galactic Overseeing Device, which watched and mused as entropy set in and the Universe wound down as the stars all burned out.

Aeons later G.O.D figgered how to re-start the whole process, with a Big Bang, or "let their be light".

And indeed per Jomoco, I would not rule out the possibility of an infinite number of alternate parallel universes, cos, "what do we know?"

Presbyterian reared Agnostic that I am.

It was "predicted" because for all their intellectual power they could not make sense of the "big bang". It just wasn't possible that it could happen whichever angle they came from.

So Peter Higgs came up with the theory of the Higgs Boson, a magic particle that ties all the other theories together leading to the creation of solid matter as we know it. It only came about to fill the hole in all their other theories and because they started off with the premise that there actually WAS a "big bang" and they needed to figure out how it happened. But what they've actually done over the years is prove that it's immensely improbable that it ever did.

The Higgs Boson hasn't been found. They released a statement saying that they'd collected data which pointed to it's existence, which inside a week of clever PR had become "finding" it, but in reality it has not yet been found.

Forty million collisions per second for how many years the collider has been running and they still haven't found it. Yet strange how many people have been bluffed in to thinking that the "big bang" is actually proven science when in fact it is just every bit as mythical as our "sky daddy".

Our present thinking may be inaccurate or indeed just plain wrong. That is not the point though.

The point is that the most intelligent and learned people of our time continually push the boundaries of our knowledge and rationally theorise what lies beyond. This process is fundamental for the advancement of our species and is in my opinion utterly vital.

All of this is entirely opposite to religious teachings which are regressive, scientifically baseless, morally corrupt, written by authors with agendas and revised by others with different agendas. The only thing books such as the Bible, Koran and Torah are any good for is lighting fires. At best complete drivel, at worst a mandate for discrimination, hatred and murder.

Can't you all see that your deeply held convictions are just that - yours? You are mere men, who assume that by being the most intelligent creature on the earth MUST therefore be right. In so doing you exalt yourselves as god and therefore refuse the possibility that perhaps you were thought of before the "creation" of the world.

So long as you are gods in your own eyes, your hearts are hardened, you cannot know the truth.

You can debate all this til the cows come home; the fact remains, it is all mere human thought and intellect.

I think you misunderstand our (or certainly my) stance. We are not claiming to be 'right' about the cosmos. None of us know how the universe came into being. We are happy to say we don't know and wait for the answers to be worked out.

What we are saying is that your particular interpretation of how things are is almost certainly wrong. This is simply a statement based on evidence (or lack of in this case).

Our hearts are not hardened. Lacking a belief in God doesn't leave you cold. On the contrary it is exciting and liberating, and focus' the mind on making the most of the only life we have.

I read a really good SF novel(or short story) based on the premise of an intelligent civilization developing computers and conquering space travel to explore and settle throughout the Universe, finally developing AI which gradually and peacefully replaced the species that had developed it, all culminating in first a physical supercomputer with AI, then evolving to a non physical Galactic Overseeing Device, which watched and mused as entropy set in and the Universe wound down as the stars all burned out.

Aeons later G.O.D figgered how to re-start the whole process, with a Big Bang, or "let their be light".

And indeed per Jomoco, I would not rule out the possibility of an infinite number of alternate parallel universes, cos, "what do we know?"

Presbyterian reared Agnostic that I am.

Of all the outstanding sci-fi authors I've read, Asimov, Herbert, Heinlein, Clark, Anderson etc?

My hands down favorite's Jack Vance, who not coincidently was the most prolific and longest lived of them all.

The Anome by Vance is a prime example.

A society/planet led by an anonymous ruler, with an unusual means of enforcing the law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anome

Jomoco

A lot of people feel this way, but the funny thing is, when they actually experience the reality of "spirit", be it an out of body event or whatever, they chalk it up to hallucination or indigestion, because the white-coats don't support it. If 'scientifically verifiable' means that white coated men believe its true, then we base out own belief on the belief of other men. In short, we cede our own innate ability to determine for ourselves what is real, to someone else - just like in traditional religion.

And by the way, leprechauns are real - over fifty percent of the Irish economy is derived from leprechaun gold, (long may it last).

This is simply not true.

I count myself as a very spiritual person. Spiritual experiences such as bliss, self transcending love, and feeling 'at one' with the cosmos can all be experienced through meditation practice.

If I was inclined to believe in the supernatural I can quite see myself believing I had found God during many of my experiences. The human brain is an amazing bit of kit. It can offer up wonderous happenings when trained or at random. There is absolutely no logic (knowing what we know now) in attributing spiritual experiences to communications from the heavens.

I respectfully bow to your greater knowledge on leprechauns and their financial arrangements.:001_smile: