• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's conservative about tax cuts for all during wartime with a 21 trill natnl debt?

Do conservatives favor war on credit these days?

Audit the FED n Pentagon?

Does each generation have any duty whatsoever these days to pay their own damn bar Tab?

What's to keep Trump from Morphing into a GWB stay the course acolyte like Obama?

Taxcuts during wartime sounds a lot like the SOS to my ears.

Jomoco

Senior Management aye spoke of "first principles" and quoted a contemporary on the Physics course who could solve problems that he had no background knowledge of, by starting with the absolute basics, i.e Joules for energy and temperature in deg Kelvin, literally by "thinking", not remembering, "remembering" was apparently for the thickos on the Medical course.

The Civil Engineering course I attempted was also big into "thinking", one of the Professors was fond of saying that was his task, was to teach us how to solve problems by breaking them down to the basics and "thinking", not "teach" us how to be Civil Engineers.

These 2 later life examples were no different to my farm based upbringing, where a bachelor Uncle would fond of saying "would you fornicating think", about ALL possible outcomes for any decision or action, good and bad.

Or indeed often phrased "what the "f" did you think was going to happen", after the ill considered or rash decision/action by my younger self .

Which basic premise has stood me in good stead throughout my 57 year life.

The above also applies to filtering the vast amount of misinformation on the internet.

Reasonably easy to identify the nuggets among the gangue.

PS

I ud be glad to be a Mentalist btw!

Edited by difflock

Excellent news on Trump's win. Great to see the liberals in meltdown and mainstream media sick.

Wtf did they expect anyway?! The American people to doff their caps to the elites in politics, media and academia for another 8 years. No chance.

Nice one to all my friends in the states. Brexit x 10 indeed.

Senior Management aye spoke of "first principles" and quoted a contemporary on the Physics course who could solve problems that he had no background knowledge of, by starting with the absolute basics, i.e Joules for energy and temperature in deg Kelvin, literally by "thinking", not remembering, "remembering" was apparently for the thickos on the Medical course.

The Civil Engineering course I attempted was also big into "thinking", one of the Professors was fond of saying that was his task, was to teach us how to solve problems by breaking them down to the basics and "thinking", not "teach" us how to be Civil Engineers.

These 2 later life examples were no different to my farm based upbringing, where a bachelor Uncle would fond of saying "would you fornicating think", about ALL possible outcomes for any decision or action, good and bad.

Or indeed often phrased "what the "f" did you think was going to happen", after the ill considered or rash decision/action by my younger self .

Which basic premise has stood me in good stead throughout my 57 year life.

The above also applies to filtering the vast amount of misinformation on the internet.

Reasonably easy to identify the nuggets among the gangue.

PS

I ud be glad to be a Mentalist btw!

One of my old teachers at Tech (remember them) started off as an apprentice on the shop floor and worked his way up to be head of the engineering department in that very institution. Brilliant man, and the only person who didn't tell me I was a stupid young fool to pack in a lifetime job at 21 to go self employed.

But anyhow, very different world now. There's academia and practicality and never the two should meet. My two are determined to do both and it's only the fact that they're both essentially as thick headed as me that gets them through it.

With respect, I think the problem lies in the difference between the ability to learn and the ability to think.

Unfortunately the world of academia is increasingly concentrating on studying and learning as opposed to thinking with the result that you can have some people with a great ability to learn who can go through BSc, Masters, even on to Doctorate stage by nothing more than memorizing and repetition.

I don't think that serves society at all unfortunately.

The ability to think is undeniably more useful than the ability to memorise. However, education is not all about rote learning - as an aside, the examination system for doctorates makes it nigh on impossible to rely on rote learning.

But, deriving everything from first principles each time is equally impractical. Hence you need both knowledge and the ability to apply it. A decent education teaches you the former and how to do the latter.

There are people who are educated and lack common sense. There are also people who are uneducated and lack common sense (visit most University town centres at chucking out time on a Friday night to see them side by side). There are probably more people who are uneducated and lazy/stupid than are educated and lazy/stupid - it takes a certain amount of intelligence and application to absorb, retain and use knowledge.

Trump did very well amongst the college educated and higher earning demographic, but he won his votes in the small c conservative areas rather than the more diverse areas. The same was true of Brexit. The issue really is that both were protest votes against the status quo, won on slogans and disaffection. The problem with 'anything is better than this' is that it is a leap of faith rather than a credible plan (unless anyone seriously thinks that building a 2000 mile long wall is realistic....)

Alec

Edited by agg221

Very articulate posts on the whole thinking vs memorising, first principles idea. Like how it was put, wish I'd says that. Just a thought - we now have all the world's information accessible from our smartphones at virtually no cost - that takes 80% of the memorising out of the equation as far as Im concerned. The thinking part becomes much more important. They should be teaching analytical thinking skills in primary school, as well as basic psychology, from day one.

Just says it all.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2154608/angry-demonstrations-continue-to-sweep-across-america-as-protesters-refuse-to-accept-donald-trumps-election-win/

It's ok for losers to go on the rampage as they've been so wronged right?

Burning the American Flag?

Honestly ... :001_rolleyes: