Tools worthy of a mention.

aspenarb

1 minute ago, william127 said:

back handle, 12inch bar 👍 

If you're cutting sensible sized stuff I can't see a boot full of logs being a problem at all.

Define sensible, and define boot! 😉 The boot on my Transit would need more than one set of batteries.😂 My Makita is over two years old, and I'd say it's had more than light use. Still going well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter 1955 said:

Define sensible, and define boot! 😉 The boot on my Transit would need more than one set of batteries.😂 My Makita is over two years old, and I'd say it's had more than light use. Still going well. 

True, it's not going to fill the back of my discovery on one set! 

About 6-8 inches I'd say.

One of the great advantages is not having to pull start the thing, deciding whether to let it idle of turn it off. A few weeks ago I had a few bits of poplar, about 10 inches on the back of the truck, I was able to ring it all up (filled a paving crate, a decent boot full 😆)  on 1 pair of batteries, while chatting to my Dad. I could throw the rings straight in the crate and move a fresh lump closer to the edge of the truck without a saw noisily idling away, walking itself  off the truck 😆 👍 

• Like 1

Battery saws - had a half price deal on a Qualcast 36V saw a few years ago, if it goes wrong well, it was cheap, but generally I'll go to that rather than the petrol Stihl - as a homeowner not a professional. Like for like I reckon for logs up to 6"-8", chain speeds are similar, but after the power of petrol keeps the chain speed up. As above, battery life is the issue - home that is OK, flatten a battery, put it on charge, cup of tea time. Took down and logged a decent sized horse chestnut with it - apart from the battery all good. Like anything though, keep the chain sharp.

When I come to replace the petrol saw it will be for another battery one, probably 36V, whatever is out there

3 minutes ago, Steven P said:

When I come to replace the petrol saw it will be for another battery one, probably 36V, whatever is out there

As William says, the great beauty of battery/mains saws is the immediate motor stop when the trigger is released, yet it's always ready to cut instantly. Also, the low noise. For me, the battery saw is only to make them small enough to carry to the mains one in the yard. It cuts 12" without batting an eyelid, and keeps going all day. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 17:37, openspaceman said:

I now worry about getting ferrex stuff from Aldi, not that I would knock it, my 40V 4" grinder has been a game changer for cutting hydraulic hoses and wire rope cleanly in the field. The problem is they sold the batteries too cheap, people bought them just to strip them of their cells such that spares are no longer available. I have the grinder, impact driver, drill and tyre pump with only three batteries to go between them and nearly got stuffed when the charger broke. I managed to get one off ebay from a bloke who bought surplus stock of chargers when Aldi bailed  out.

Now I'm thinking I will buy milwaukee stuff; has anyone tried their M18 chainsaws?

My M18 top handle is good, but you do need high output genuine batteries for it to shine, which cost a pretty penny (but no more so than Stihl). 

It’s considerably better than my 36v Makita, which also took offence at the new addition and promptly gave up the ghost after four years light/sporadic use. So I will be replacing that with a back handle m18 too. 

• Like 1

It has to be said the Milwaukee/makita platform is well tried and tested by innumerable pro uses within multiple trades all over the World,whearas stihl/husky are pretty late to the battery party.The stihl battery platform looks confusing with Al/Ap etc.Do either firms offer rapid dual chargers I wonder? You would hope that the prices will slowly come down over the next 3 odd Years.I cant help feeling that the early adopters are paying for the massive R&D costs at the mo.

• Like 1

Hardly a new or novel item,but well worth keeping in your glovebox-its earned its keep and got me and others out of jail,pretty much makes full size jump leads redundant.In particular it saved me so much hassle when returning from 14 days in Greece to find my elderly golf cabbies battery totally flat in the long stay airport car park.This one will start a 2l diesel at least twice and a 2l petrol mebbie 3 times I would guess.IMG_20240314_201109.thumb.jpg.100982a4718424a3f637eac1483abc92.jpgIMG_20240314_201046.thumb.jpg.b32f622517ef0985f58f4a0e7732d445.jpg

• Like 1