Firewood Processor Differences(+?-points) Again ???

cessna

As with Logsnstuff I only have experience with my elderly Posch (Blue & white model) tipped circular saw. I have the occasional jamb but the stop cord is always within reach and at 450 RPM (not 540 by the way) it soon stops. New belts were fitted six years ago and from memory I've only had half a dozen emergency stops since then.

Yes the chainsaw machines have bigger capacity but then you have a different ball-park log size too, in my eyes too big to handle without add-ons.

From my forestry/sawmilling background I still believe the bigger sizes should be put into the mill! Perhaps an out-of-date attitude but there I go....

My machines spares are only a 'phone call away and delivery within 24 hours too and for a 25+ year old machine I call that service!

codlasher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we cut 3-500 ton a season and only use 1 circular for that it costs roughly £60 a season to re tip and sharpen. I have no experience of chainsaw processor to see how it compares.

9 years had the posch 3200 and other than usual wear&replace the only mechanical failure was a pinhole in the weld on the splitting ram after 8 years.

As a comparison, we do 800-1000 tons and get through 10 - 15 chains, depending how many snap teeth on stones, and 3 bars. Chains are sharpened after about 20 tons and that takes 10 minutes. Cost is around £500 a year plus time.

Our old tajfun 400 did 3000+ tons and the only replacement parts used were 3 belts, 2 oil pipes,2 tensioning screws and a few new log holding flaps from operator error.

£60 to retip and sharpen a circular blade!!!???? :blink:

We were quoted around £300 for ours!!!!

Anyway, if you search 'Rytec eco 800' you'll see the log holder 'blade', not like the Tajfun one in the video....

Got charged £30 for a sharpen in the summer in South Wales. £1 each if a tip needed replacing

Do you mean 600m3 of roundwood INTO it or 600 cube of loose logs OUT of it?

Also, is that volume done in a big hit for storage or in a more leisurely fashion over the year?

Green or seasoned in the round?

Some very unglorified machines will do that vol peasy.

Diameter of roundwood a slightly major factor.

Processed as orders come in through autumn,winter and spring months

600 Cu LOOSE logs.

Semi seasoned wood.

Wood,some roundwood and some billets from large trunks.

Diameter 3" to 48" + ( split into the billets above. )