eBay - nice company

Mark Bolam

I've been thinking for a while now that eBay are a complete bunch of slimy reptiles, happy to fence stolen goods and let people try and rip money from my account.

I'm on the wifes laptop, and Googled 'Arbtalk' so I could log in.

Top of the search? You guessed it.

'Best prices on 'ARBTALK' at eBay' blah blah blah.

They really are total scum.

That's google, not ebay. Google reads your cookies, sees you've been on ebay, then when you search arbtalk it links the two and shows ebay. Yes ebay are paying for advertising but don't just blame them. Google is a very powerful beast, do not underestimate how much information it harvests from you and feeds back to you when searching.

I am with you Mark, we used to sell stuff on E-bay and had our account cancelled because 1 person made a complaint because the product didn't turn up, and that was down to the courier booting it around the back of their van.

People are under the impression they get a better price on E-bay but with a bit of haggling and shopping around, companies would rather cut them out because of the amount they charge.

I buy quite a few things on ebay but usually buy it now items after I check the price elsewhere. A lot of times it is cheaper on Amazon, ebuyer or dabs.com. I have always been treated fairly on ebay so can't complain. I recently bought a new trolley jack and axle stands and was looking on ebay, found SGS and checked up and they are not far from here and offer free post over £100 if you buy from their website but their buy it now price includes postage so buying outside ebay saved me £40 :D

Huge multi national type companies always are like that ie no morals...

It's easy to look at the negatives with ebay - there are a fair few BUT balance that with the positives.

• Many have been able to start and run an e commerce business because of ebay - when otherwise they may not have able to

• It is an easy way to shop and compare prices of products in detail

• It makes reaching international customers much easier than it would otherwise be

• Search system is superb - works smoothly and easily - there is no bettering it

• Feedback system is good and on the whole works well - sellers want to keep good feedback and it is a good incentive to work hard to make sure the customer is happy... also very easy to see selling history. Now people will argue they had someone with 99.99% feedback and they were unhelpful, rude etc etc - it's not a perfect system but it is a good system

• People gripe about selling things and getting stitched up by the buyer - welcome to the world of online selling! - it happens whether you sell by ebay or from an e commerce shop - not nice but to a certain extent goes with the territory of selling online

So yes there are negatives - but it's not all negative. I was never able to find a market for my wood until I got it properly organised on ebay.

It's a very powerful platform when people only need to breath the word 'Alaskan mill' near Google and the old Alaskan website pops up - yet they feel more comfortable buying a mill off ebay for £15-00 more (to cover the fees).

There some areas they need to improve and I know where you're coming from but I find eBay a better the devil you know type of affair...

:001_smile:

I've been thinking for a while now that eBay are a complete bunch of slimy reptiles, happy to fence stolen goods and let people try and rip money from my account.

I'm on the wifes laptop, and Googled 'Arbtalk' so I could log in.

Top of the search? You guessed it.

'Best prices on 'ARBTALK' at eBay' blah blah blah.

They really are total scum.

Hi,

You took your time, I stopped buying/selling with them years ago, in the beginning and early 00's it was fun and fairly trouble free. Then the money rolled in, they jacked up prices, gave buyers far too much sway with being able to reverse charges at the slightest whim & ignoring all common sense usually with a threat of account suspension.

The other polished turd in the bowl is their PayPal UK (not) as it is run from Luxembourg not even in the frikkin EU and hence no UK or any other protection.

N

I reported a phishing auction the other day, very cleverly done, the auction page forwarded to a very good fake page, that bypassed their contact system.

I reported it and the tard on live help couldn't understand what was wrong with it :(

it wasn't removed for several days

Yahoo auctions was much better and I had some real good bargains off it.

i got to agree with rob its a good selling platform and brilliant search engine and as a seller you can put your item on ebay.com for 15p and reach thousands of extra potential customers i have bought and sold loads of stuff

just be alert and double check buyers and sellers, there are some great sellers of saw parts in the usa and if it wasnt for ebay would never have found them :thumbup::thumbup:

Points taken on board fellas.

I'll admit, then, that they are a very efficient morally bankrupt lying thief-helping bunch of slimy reptile scum.

NFG, don't even get me started on PayPal! Mr. Deep of Sahara Close in Leicester, trying to buy car parts for you boy racer pimpmobile with my hard-earned cash, your time will come my friend....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk