Torque =???

simonm

I am going through the motions with a new van, i have 2 options

1 120 bhp 300nm torque

2 150 bhp 375nm torque & add blue

It will spend its life overloaded and towing like every other arb vehicle, so the more power the better...but...what can i compare the extra 75 nm of torque to? the power of 75 cats pulling it? or 75 rocket engines or anywhere in between? :confused1:

If the difference is hardly noticeable then id rather not have the extra cost of ad blue! any ideas?

Torque is force x radius or turning force . Torque is of great value I think . Imagine a 300hp tractor verses a 300hp sports car . on the flat the sports car wins . Ask them both to pull a full grain trailer and the car will struggle big time . So if you dont want to go fast but pull heavy loads its torque you will benefit from . If you just want to get from A to B quick then ........

Stubby`s on it, torque turns wheels. HP is pub talk to impress mates :thumbup1:

Edit. Torque and where its made in the rev range are where you need to be looking. Torque is worthless if you need to scream the nuts off an engine to achieve it.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Torque is force x radius or turning force . Torque is of great value I think . Imagine a 300hp tractor verses a 300hp sports car . on the flat the sports car wins . Ask them both to pull a full grain trailer and the car will struggle big time . So if you dont want to go fast but pull heavy loads its torque you will benefit from . If you just want to get from A to B quick then ........

I understand torque is the pulling power, i just dont know how much difference 75nm of torque would actually make, or what to compare it to.

Hi

Stubbys reply is spot on

Torque is turning force in either Newton metres or foot ibs, thats the same torque as in a torque wrench.

The more torque an engine develops, then the better it will be for towing

N