What to consider.. Pricing a job

samthornton1990

Just got a my first job :001_smile:

Just wondering how to price it?

He's wanting 2 trees (About 7 foot in height, more like a bush) taking down

2 Bushes taking down as well

And then one bush trimming.

Now I've thought of fuel for driving there, fuel for the trimmers and the saw and then how do I go about hourly rate or do I just give him a price for the whole job?

Not really sure how to do it so any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Sam

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charge what you feel, personally I'd give a set price, bomb the hell out of it, then do one once you're done to your local...

Charging an hourly rate is never good IME, you usually finish faster than you anticipated, then you get bugger all in comparison

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

In your head work out how many hours you reckon it'll take if you were going slow then add an hour on plus a bit extra if you think they're the type who'll barter to death regardless of the price so you always have a bit in hand where you still do very well from the job and are still well above what you'd take. (say you had an hourly rate of £25 or whatever, which is how much you need to cover all costs plus a decent wage for yourself)

easy to price small jobs like these. £120 minium.

what per hour?

sounds like a gardeners job to me so i would go with 200 quids for 2 hours and have another job to goto on the same day.....

to just do that job alone as a 1 man team would take most of the day to tool up get there drink tea and cut the shrubs out then get home...

so its a days pay needed.

at a guess i would say a larger company would be cheaper and do 5 jobs like that per day per 2 man team.

In your head work out how many hours you reckon it'll take if you were going slow then add an hour on plus a bit extra if you think they're the type who'll barter to death regardless of the price so you always have a bit in hand where you still do very well from the job and are still well above what you'd take. (say you had an hourly rate of £25 or whatever, which is how much you need to cover all costs plus a decent wage for yourself)

I wasn't sure cause it's my first job, was thinking £25 for fuel for maintenance, getting there and for my tools. Then £10 an hour or is that too cheap?

And make sure youve allowed enough to get rid of arisings, or make sure the customer knows they are staying/burnt on site

He was happy with burning it so winner for me :D

what per hour?

sounds like a gardeners job to me so i would go with 200 quids for 2 hours and have another job to goto on the same day.....

to just do that job alone as a 1 man team would take most of the day to tool up get there drink tea and cut the shrubs out then get home...

at a guess i would say a larger company would be cheaper and do 5 jobs like that per day per 2 man team.

£200 really??? That'd normally take me 4 days to earn at work! I reckon it'd take me a minimum of half a day if I started early.

Figure out your fixed costs.

Decide how much profit you think is reasonable.

Double both figures and that's you answer.

Client may be getting quotes from experienced operators who are VAT registered and know how to price, therefore if you are too cheap you'll be laughed at.

I am the only guy cause it's a mate of a mate... he's just wanting it done whenever and for cheap as far as I know.

what per hour?

:confused1: Two 7' trees down, two bushes down and bush trimmed up would take you a whole day????????????:confused1:

Sounds more like two hours work to me???

Edited by skyhuck