Unusual job

son of a birch

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if I could brainstorm some ideas for a job coming up.

Not sure on the full details at the moment, but basically we have to get a cameraman into a tree to install some camera equipment. He is not a climber and lets assume that we could not install the equipment ourselves.

Also, for arguments sake, lets assume that the desired height to install the equipment is out of ladder reach, out of mewp access, and that the tree is fairly tall with a clear stem (so not easy to scramble up). So we will be using some form of rope access.

Any ideas of how we could get a guy into a tree, aside from a crash course in hip thrusting? Any particular belay/ pulley system that would be suitable?

Thanks in advance for any ideas (also please note I haven't visited the site yet so can only speculate on tree species/height etc)...

Chris

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have a mate (former arb) who does this for a living freelance and is a bit of a pro when it comes to hoisting fat camermen into the canopy - pm me if you want his details - he's in bristol. Suppost this is your job though! He's a helpful kinda chap but its his livelihood if you know what i'm saying!!!!

Use a second climber as a counterweight. He'd have to be roughly the same weight as the cameraman and his camera.

Have the second climber at the top of the tree attached to the same rope as the cameraman at the foot of the tree (rope is through pulley positioned at suitable high tie in point).

The cameramen should have a secondary safety line which is through a belay device at the base of the tree - gri gri/grillon etc. This will be tended by a groundsman. This rope will also be through a separate pulley at the top of the tree near the 1st main tie in point.

The second climber would also have a secondary safety line in the form of his usual Doubled rope system. His tie in point will be in a similar location to the other to tie in points. This allows for the controlled descent of himself and the controlled ascent of the cameraman.

As the second climber descends from the top of the tree the cameraman rises to the point where he is to set up his gear. This may mean the second climber hanging around in mid air for a short time.

The cameraman is lowered by the second climber ascending using his doubled rope system. Again the cameraman's safety line is belayed by the groundsman bringing him safely to the ground.

Edited by scotspine1