Subcontracting chipper rates (to help with finance payments)

kentjames

Hi everyone

I am in the process of gathering quotes for finance on a new chipper, and truck.

I am just trying to forecast figures for future work verses repayments and would be interested to know what others subby out their chippers for? I wouldn't be looking to hire it out but prefer the idea of me and the chipper for the day?

The figures per month are a little scary but if I can get the work I don't mind paying out for it, but since I do garden maintenance and arb its a fine balance?

To jump or not, this is the decision to make

Thanks in advance

James :thumbup1:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chipper only is around 200 - 250 per month depending on make, all around 5 / 6" size.

Doobin - how about one who has tickets to 39 as well? 2nd climber??

the way to look at it is, do you spend more in hire costs each month hiring in a chipper?

also your buying a investment so the paper says your paying £200 a month for it. but really your only paying really £50-£100 a month because when you come to sell it or trade in for a new one, if you look after it you will always get a very good price back for it. probs at least half of what you paid for it :thumbup1:

the way to look at it is, do you spend more in hire costs each month hiring in a chipper?

also your buying a investment so the paper says your paying £200 a month for it. but really your only paying really £50-£100 a month because when you come to sell it or trade in for a new one, if you look after it you will always get a very good price back for it. probs at least half of what you paid for it :thumbup1:

Thats a good way to look at it actually.

At the moment I dont use a chipper and smash stuff down in a trailer - its harder, takes longer and waste away is bulkier.

The chipper is needed given some of the work coming up this winter, plus I feel like I can't compete on price with some of the bigger companies due to the waste away is incurring more time and therefore money when comparing quotes.

I'm loathed to sell myself to the full potential at the moment by way of advertising as I fear I wont win the jobs due to the lack of kit to win on price.

Catch22 perhaps, it seems clear cut but I worry about the months when there is little arb work and it still needs to be paid for ?

Thats a good way to look at it actually.

At the moment I dont use a chipper and smash stuff down in a trailer - its harder, takes longer and waste away is bulkier.

The chipper is needed given some of the work coming up this winter, plus I feel like I can't compete on price with some of the bigger companies due to the waste away is incurring more time and therefore money when comparing quotes.

I'm loathed to sell myself to the full potential at the moment by way of advertising as I fear I wont win the jobs due to the lack of kit to win on price.

Catch22 perhaps, it seems clear cut but I worry about the months when there is little arb work and it still needs to be paid for ?

i was in the same sort of situation last year when i was getting work but had to get subby in with chipper all the while and on small jobs takes everything out of the job. i went down the cheap old vermeer chipper route and very bad choice ended up getting brand new tw125 i put the min deposit down (10%) over 5 years and the payments are £222 it was a massive commitment for me to sign up to, but in reality it has to go out once a month to more than pay its way. :thumbup1: