Stuck bolt!

richy_B

Recently bought a LM126. Been giving it a bit of a service and all 5 of the bolts on one wheel are absolutely stuck. Fairly rusted looking but still intact/good head.

I've tried my 1/2" air impact gun. No luck.

I tried some penetrative oil, left for a few hours then impact gun. No luck.

I've tried a 600mm breaker bar 1/2" breaker bar. No luck.

I put a scaffolding bar on the breaker bar. Snapped the socket!

I've run out of DIY options but have two other options. 1) A neighbouring unit has a 3/4" heavy weight impact gun but no 19mm socket. I could buy a socket but I am a bit concerned that with a bigger impact gun the likelihood of snapping the bolt head off. 2) Buy a little blow lamp and try to heat and rapidly cool the bolts. Hopefully 'crack' the rust or get it moving.

Any suggestions?

what brand air gun is it and has it got a high enough air supply u could go to a local tire shop and ask them chances are there 1/2 inch gun will be a bit more powerful if urs is a diy model or get a 3/4 drive breaker bar and socket with the scafold bar and finnal just give everything a good smack with a large hammer sometimes it loosens everything up sufficiently

if its that stuck and you try to force it the bolt head will shear off and you'll be in a heap of bother. make every effort to "shock" the rust off prior to applying more force than you've already done. sharp belts with an engineers hammer on the bolt head and around may help otherwise its got to be heat, a blowlamp probably won't be man enough you'll need to get someone with oxy acetylene bottles. heat the area around the female threads to expand them away from the bolt. good luck

Smaller hammers give better shock for loosening bolts, sotry something around 16 or 20 ounces and give each one a good sharp belt…. mind the eyes! and fingers, hit it like you hate it! then try 1/4 turn clockwise, then work away anti clockwise ….. failing that mapp gas or oxy…..

if your still stuck pop wheel and hub off and heat from behind ,also brake fluid is great for getting into heated threads….. Good luck!

heat best you can then hit with freeze and release spray, repeat and try to slacken. worth the time and effort of at least a tin of spray and lots of heat.

failing that most tyre places have gas torches and can really heat it.

good impact rated socket and breaker bar, scaffold pipe and slow gentle but constant pressure, depending on direction of rotation get a trolley jack under end of bar and lift a bit, whack area around with hammer, lift a bit, whack, and so on.

least if you try a mix of ideas then still cant move it, bugger is truly stuck and you wont feel bad when a garage hits it with inch drive gun and mega air supply!