Large Hiab on Defender

Nick Connell

how much payload would the defender have as a chassis cab?

I think you would need a crane around the 8tm mark to comfortably lift 1 ton at 6m reach. A crane of that size would be just under a ton dry weight, +60 odd litres of hydraulic oil, then the subframe to mount it on.

The other point to consider the stability when it comes to loler testing having quite a light base vehicle.

Had similar thought a while back and basically it came down to how heavy the crane was as to what reach verses lift could be achieved without overloading the land-rover, never got further than it being an idea but 1 ton at 6m is quite a bit don't think my big botex is even rated at that!

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

I think you will struggle to get a worthwhile lift off a landrover base.

If you are going ahead is it worth considering an old cherry picker, it would give you the hydruilics and posably some additional legs, both might be mot exempt but I don't think you can tow with it if using an mot exemption.

I think the size/weight of subframe and stabilisers required will be your biggest problem.

If the vehicle is only carrying the crane and if the crane had 4 legs to displace the lifting pressures the vehicle load capacity is all the chassis will need to carry.........

If the vehicle is only carrying the crane and if the crane had 4 legs to displace the lifting pressures the vehicle load capacity is all the chassis will need to carry.........

Think what he ment is the legs and frame will eat into the weight that the vehicle can legally carry not leaving a lot for the crane itself, during work it's not a problem as with my landy picker the vehicle is almost just dangling under the sub frame.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app