DdRT Injuries

RC0

I agree entirely Tim.

On the Oak failure, the line was running over a bit of epicormic growth and no amount of flicking/ the stick trick/alpine butterfly/ swearing at the bloody thing would make it settle down into the crotch. Hence we loaded it like we did and it was Oak... what could possibly go wrong..? It definitely made me more aware of the forces acting on a tie in point.

The second time was a scabby Ivy covered Lime tree. Line ran through a lovely anchor. The whole leader tore out a metre or two below the crotch my line went through. So one minute I was ascending and then the leaves were suddenly going in the opposite direction and the garage roof was getting closer.

It was all in slow motion. I stopped before I hit the roof looked up to see the leader lodged in an crotch. Not this one was definitely bombproof so I just carried on climbing and cut the whole mess out.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone claiming I've derailed this thread off topic's ignoring the fact that Reg is more or less scolding commercial manufacturers and industry associations for impeding wholesale adoption of SRT systems, without even mentioning it's frailties n drawbacks.

A rather lopsided approach to promoting SRT from an objective point of view.

Reg'll forgive me someday I'm sure!

Jomoco

Nothing to forgive Jon. Say what you feel, I wouldn't expect anything less. The video was about my injuries, and what caused them. It wasn't an SRT tutorial, by any means. But that info is easy enough to find, if you look for it.

Yes base ties can become a force multiplyer, reletive to the amount of friction of course....but in the same sense it can also give you a bigger margin of safety, in the fact that your line may pass over multiple limbs before being tied off back at the base. That's what most users aim for. I read not just a couple of weeks ago that a lad fell out of a tree during a climbing competition in the US. I believe it was an isolated limb, but not SRT. Running your line over multiple limbs is not so much an option Ddrt. So, there's an argument for both sides if you think abut it....but really it's a common sense issue, a big part of tree work.

....All trees, any size, whatever, wherever. In fact I don't own a double rope system anymore. I gave it away as it was taking up space. In practically every way it is better. It has replaced double rope 100%. Double rope is not smoother once you are efficient and practiced on srt, in any sized tree....

Another great vid by Reg! The above statement is quite true and as Reg stated the times where DdRT is a useful tool are limited.

Everything we do requires knowledge or we will not last long. Whether that means falling from the tree or physically wearing out from over-taxing certain body parts. There is a simple solution. Keep learning.

Cheers Bro.

The substance of your vid I couldn't agree with more, standing up n usin leg muscle, an upright posture keeping things properly aligned etc.

But YouTube stars such as yourself, promoting wonderful new innovations that require great attention to detail to avoid mishaps or misunderstandings on the viewer's part? Are wise to follow Jepson's example IMO. Put the inherent dangers of a new system's usage up front n center stage, high lighted in red ink. Have pity on the greenies of humble educations n backgrounds.

Live long n prosper Reg.

Jomoco

Good video - kind of echos my own situation back neck elbows shoulders and knees have all given me issues - i spent a fortune on physio although i found Intramuscular stimulation (they stick big needles in you) really helped my shoulders and neck - only really got into SRT this last year but will use it as much as possible - and it has really helped - Its funny as i notice how on big days the lads climbing on DdRT tend to fall asleep the moment they are in the van and not so with people who have spent the day on SRT - It helps to get a good shot in with a throwline sure - but with the rope wrench you can just take it off and switch straight to DdRT or even climb DdRT with the wrench attached.

I still use DdRT - especially for take because if i'm on spikes - i'm happy stomping around the tree

I think having a system rigged for rescue on the ground is actually really good - THere are many different ways of doing it - but i cant see why some people think having a system that is rigged to belay the climber out of the tree is a bad idea - and deffinately far from pathetic - I used an I.D on basal tie to belay out and person who passed out in a tree not that long ago - THere are risks with having a base-tie in sure - but no one system is perfect. People say its a risk because you sometimes cant see the line, or its at risk of being cut by a groundy orthe climber by falling pieces hitting the stem - I have climbed exclusively on base-ties and not once had an issue with anything like this - possibly because i use SRT just for pruning. - an SRT isnt limited to just big leggy trees - far from it - a 15m multi stem Chestnut today - clearing a street light and reducing large limbs growing out over the road - busy crown - would have been fighting with a DdRT system or having to change my anchor point at least once to get to the second part of the tree - not so with SRT - as the best thing about SRT for me is the ease of using a range of redirect techniques and never having an issue of increased friction

- Im not going to say SRT is for everyone - it feels strange and awkward at first - it takes practice - a few Rec climbs then making the commitment to using it at work and it feels very gear intensive and needs a bit more investment than a few meters of cord and a pulley wheel - sometimes its best to keep it simple and stick with DdRT - but i can see SRT really helping me - and by the way I mostly work as a subcontractor - climbing for other companies so yeah I still have to keep up the pace - and without many free days in the rest of the calendar this year it would appear i still do. but each to their own.

Good video - kind of echos my own situation back neck elbows shoulders and knees have all given me issues - i spent a fortune on physio although i found Intramuscular stimulation (they stick big needles in you) really helped my shoulders and neck - only really got into SRT this last year but will use it as much as possible - and it has really helped - Its funny as i notice how on big days the lads climbing on DdRT tend to fall asleep the moment they are in the van and not so with people who have spent the day on SRT - It helps to get a good shot in with a throwline sure - but with the rope wrench you can just take it off and switch straight to DdRT or even climb DdRT with the wrench attached.

I still use DdRT - especially for take because if i'm on spikes - i'm happy stomping around the tree

I think having a system rigged for rescue on the ground is actually really good - THere are many different ways of doing it - but i cant see why some people think having a system that is rigged to belay the climber out of the tree is a bad idea - and deffinately far from pathetic - I used an I.D on basal tie to belay out and person who passed out in a tree not that long ago - THere are risks with having a base-tie in sure - but no one system is perfect. People say its a risk because you sometimes cant see the line, or its at risk of being cut by a groundy orthe climber by falling pieces hitting the stem - I have climbed exclusively on base-ties and not once had an issue with anything like this - possibly because i use SRT just for pruning. - an SRT isnt limited to just big leggy trees - far from it - a 15m multi stem Chestnut today - clearing a street light and reducing large limbs growing out over the road - busy crown - would have been fighting with a DdRT system or having to change my anchor point at least once to get to the second part of the tree - not so with SRT - as the best thing about SRT for me is the ease of using a range of redirect techniques and never having an issue of increased friction

- Im not going to say SRT is for everyone - it feels strange and awkward at first - it takes practice - a few Rec climbs then making the commitment to using it at work and it feels very gear intensive and needs a bit more investment than a few meters of cord and a pulley wheel - sometimes its best to keep it simple and stick with DdRT - but i can see SRT really helping me - and by the way I mostly work as a subcontractor - climbing for other companies so yeah I still have to keep up the pace - and without many free days in the rest of the calendar this year it would appear i still do. but each to their own.

Great hearing from you mate 👍👍