advice on log splitter !

defenderjack

no mate but you will need to spend some thing like £1200 to even make it worth your while, but that will get you a good splitter that will do the job you want it too, and is perfect for tree surgery waste - this is what we have got at work and is perfect for tree surgery waste, and i think is worth every penny. you can get them electric or petrol versions and you can get them from fuelwood, in warwick :001_smile:

thanks joe , never really thouht bout price of splitters till this year now ive started to do more logs .

that looks like a pretty good bit of kit , how thirsty are the petrol ones ? i do have means of electricity at the mo but not sure for how long , :thumbdown:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the one we have at work is electric, but i also know someone with a petrol one the same, and it drank about 4 litres of unleaded after splitting the stuff that the axe could not do for about 6 and a half hours solid, so i think the increased output is well worth the input of money, and I know if I was a tree surgeon, even if i was only a one man band I would definitely have one

Joe, have you ever had problems with that splitter shorting out a regular 240v supply? Heard some vague rumours about the more powerful units drawing a lot of juice.

I have a £300 5T splitter, which is great for long logs for pubs etc, but is slow and not really powerful enough.

If I had enough seasoned cord left I would probably get one, but I'll be sold out by the end of November.

Damn customers keep all the good stuff these days!

yeah, if you were using the electric one all day it would probably cut out about three times on you, but just leave it for enough time for the kettle to boil, and it works again for another few hours, it hasn't tripped any thing yet, it just stops working for a few mins but thats all :thumbup1:

sorry to hijack this but i was wondering if something like a posch 30t splitter is worth it? (theres one at wilsons for 6250.) if i bought that i could split pretty much anything i have and a few other arb companies i know. the extra cost would surely be re obtainable by hireing it out based on its capabilities.

also at the moment i was thinking that as there isnt much construction work going on, a lot of big stuff may now get split into logs rather than milled into boards?

there just seems to be too much choice at the bottom end of the scale with these splitters and i wouldnt want to spend a chunk of money on something that a)isnt too different from anything else on offer and b)doesnt have the beans to cope with meaty stuff. spending that bit extra seems to make more sense?

any comments?

Joe, have you ever had problems with that splitter shorting out a regular 240v supply? Heard some vague rumours about the more powerful units drawing a lot of juice.

I have a £300 5T splitter, which is great for long logs for pubs etc, but is slow and not really powerful enough.

If I had enough seasoned cord left I would probably get one, but I'll be sold out by the end of November.

Damn customers keep all the good stuff these days!

I bought a Shheppac (spelling?) and it used to trip out all day long and generally was a right pain in the backside (cost £800).

I've done all logs by hand this year and just chainsawed the awkward ones... really I think you need to spend a good bit of cash if you're going to get one.