Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

It's self importance repetitive disorder, which Pfizer will soon have a pill for.

Or inbred hillbillies disorder, for which there's sadly no cure.

Why was I not too made of stone, like thee?

Quasijomoco

Edited by jomoco

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's self importance repetitive disorder, which Pfizer will soon have a pill for.

Or inbred hillbillies disorder, for which there's sadly no cure.

Why was I too made of stone, like thee?

Quasijomoco

Do you mean "to"?

I've no doubt I mangled quasi's words beyond recognition!

Shall I apply pneumatic pressure bandages ASAP?

Or let the poor retch bleed out n end his suffering?

That is the question. Whether tis nobler to assist Darwin's delinquents, upon their journey into night?

Jomoco

I've no doubt I mangled quasi's words beyond recognition!

Shall I apply pneumatic pressure bandages ASAP?

Or let the poor retch bleed out n end his suffering?

That is the question. Whether tis nobler to assist Darwin's delinquents, upon their journey into night?

Jomoco

Whatever you think mate😳🙄

I think not.

In a pinch, I believe God helps those who help themselves.

There was a European video of an old devout catholic grounds keeper mangling himself horribly on camera way back in 09, very gruesome. But it had an undeniable beauty and dignity about it that sticks in my mind.

The old man starts by getting on his knees, mumbling a prayer, kissing his cross necklace then the trinity hand motions.

Then he proceeds about ten feet up a ladder, with a chainsaw, climbs onto the crotch of the first big lateral on the tree, starts cutting the top of the lateral downwards at arm's length out on it, causing it to split just like a lateral barber chair, allowing the brush end to come down first in a step towards him, and the butt end to come down on him, breaking his leg in two places, and pinning him by the leg to that crotch, trapping him there.

The beauty of it all was in the courage and fortitude exhibited by the ole timer extricating himself single handedly from that nightmare scenario. Just a barely audible groan or two as he pushed the branch butt up far enough to yank his floppy leg free, and agonizingly make his way down that ladder about halfway before falling off it altogether, then crawling towards the camera.

And who's to say those devout prayers n stuff didn't help keep him alive that day?

Very stoic and tough old bloke to rescue himself like that with such a minimum of noise n drama.

Jomoco

Just out of interest how many of you guys train/work out as well as climb/work? If you do work out what do you do and how often?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Done power lifting for the last 17 years I I climb at least five mostly six days a week as a freelance climber as for all the needing to be so lean and light to do tree work to a commercial speed is a load of hoarse poo I more often than not am much speedier in the tree than some lad that's half my size me being 6ft4 and 21st it's not ur size or weight it's how effective u are in the tree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yes I remember this video earlier in a thread. He hangs on to his precious saw for an age, has a good long think about it. Then decided to drop it.

I find when things go pear shaped thinking speeds up. But this guy is as cool as a cucumber.

The big question is how would you get the stretcher to him in the tree?

Would you strap him upright in situ then flip him end over end between two of you?

What a fun thread. Oftentimes it stayed on point long enough to nearly be interesting. Coming back to the stretcher thing - what about those mountain rescue stretchers with the single folding mountain-bike wheel underneath? Two guys could absolutely transport a casualty long distance with one of those, with minimal effort, depending on the terrain.

I wonder if part of the resistance to the uber-preparedness mindset is unconscious denial. We think that if we don't plan for the worst, the worst won't happen, kind of thing - not really rational but is makes sense psychologically. Like the anti gun people in America - if they can make weapons go away, then violence and crime will go away too. The ancients used to do this all the time, its called homeopathic magic. Guess what - it doesn't work.

There would be no risk of stretchering a casualty out of the bush provided he hadn't sustained a spinal injury. If it was a fall or a crushing event to the spinal area, then don't move. If a cutting or puncturing injury, then why not? If one was working off the track, the medics might not be able to locate you easily. Why slow them down by making them hike into the forest, and out again? Remember the Golden Hour? While they are on route, you guys could be moving to meet them at an identifiable landmark.

Also, there may be times when an injury is not severe enough to warrant calling for EMS. A badly sprained ankle or knee, for instance. Rather than do a "Weekend at Bernies" and risk all three of you going down in the brash, further exacerbating the injury, just get the stretcher.

One thing about tourniquets - its life or limb, unless they are on for a very short time. A pressure bandage would be preferable, unless its like a severed limb.

Has anyone considered carrying smoke flares to aid the EMS in finding your location?

Done power lifting for the last 17 years I I climb at least five mostly six days a week as a freelance climber as for all the needing to be so lean and light to do tree work to a commercial speed is a load of hoarse poo I more often than not am much speedier in the tree than some lad that's half my size me being 6ft4 and 21st it's not ur size or weight it's how effective u are in the tree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

What a fun thread. Oftentimes it stayed on point long enough to nearly be interesting. Coming back to the stretcher thing - what about those mountain rescue stretchers with the single folding mountain-bike wheel underneath? Two guys could absolutely transport a casualty long distance with one of those, with minimal effort, depending on the terrain.

I wonder if part of the resistance to the uber-preparedness mindset is unconscious denial. We think that if we don't plan for the worst, the worst won't happen, kind of thing - not really rational but is makes sense psychologically. Like the anti gun people in America - if they can make weapons go away, then violence and crime will go away too. The ancients used to do this all the time, its called homeopathic magic. Guess what - it doesn't work.

There would be no risk of stretchering a casualty out of the bush provided he hadn't sustained a spinal injury. If it was a fall or a crushing event to the spinal area, then don't move. If a cutting or puncturing injury, then why not? If one was working off the track, the medics might not be able to locate you easily. Why slow them down by making them hike into the forest, and out again? Remember the Golden Hour? While they are on route, you guys could be moving to meet them at an identifiable landmark.

Also, there may be times when an injury is not severe enough to warrant calling for EMS. A badly sprained ankle or knee, for instance. Rather than do a "Weekend at Bernies" and risk all three of you going down in the brash, further exacerbating the injury, just get the stretcher.

One thing about tourniquets - its life or limb, unless they are on for a very short time. A pressure bandage would be preferable, unless its like a severed limb.

Has anyone considered carrying smoke flares to aid the EMS in finding your location?

Valid points

Have you considered,

There would be no risk of stretchering a casualty out of the bush provided he hadn't sustained a spinal injury

You are of course quite correct vis the transport of spinal (or suspected) injuries, but transporting an "unstable" casualty often does much more harm than good.

Its hard bordering impossible to monitor a casualty on the move with a dedicated carer (which your under manned team wont have) and if you are route picking as well as carrying you have a decent chance of becoming a casualty yourself which brings us full circle to the "do no harm".

Clearly its hard to sit "doing nothing" when the fight or flight thing is adrenalizing your thought process. In that situation an option to consider would be to send the carrier to meet the assistance and facilitate their prompt arrival, that's casualty management 101

Personally I wouldn't recommend pyrotechnics or smoke, they are a one shot deal and could be potential hazard The passive alternatives are as or more effective. A good old fashioned whistle costs pennies and can be attached to clothes or a helmet strap to keep it in reach. A strobe beacon is an option that will still be effective even if the casualty passes out, particularly effective for lone workers.