Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

Be Interesting to find out exactly what happened as all we can do is speculate, i would put money on the hinge being wrong though, lack of experience by the cutter.

Interesting that someone mentioned AAAC i wonder if the guy that done the felling was part of the assessment procedure, always seemed a flaw in the system when you can bring in exceptional guys to pass it then go back to your own and possibly in this case inexperienced workforce once approved.

Its all hindsight now though, no one hurt, cars can get fixed and I'm sure the cutter and company will get dragged through the ringer.

The Arb Assoc should be over that company like a fat kid on a chocolate!

I'll be interested to see how the AA handle this.

Their scheme was something we looked into getting on. Lot of expense and jumping through hoops, but arguably worth it...

... Until you see a video of this type of work in the public domain performed by an Approved Contractor.

I think this is the important part to this.

I would be grateful AA Techie could give some input to this thread.

Well its fair to say we can only judge on what we can see, and certainly theres a lot wrong with the height of pull line and the angle of pull.

Tbh pulling/pushing any tree with something that was not designed for the job would cause problems in a courtroom, supposing that tree had gone backwards, it does happen ? Is a truck or chipper designed for pulling trees ? not at all .

Not sure if this had been posted before but worth a look from a felling point of view.

Lombardy is a brittle species when it comes to the hinge, it's known to snap quick as soon as the tree starts to go over towards the felling direction - meaning you can lose directional control especially if it's windy or has a heavy side lean.

Not 100% sure of what went wrong with the felling cuts in this case but it looks like the hinge snapped early then the wind took over sending the tree over the street onto parked cars, thankfully no one hurt. There was a pull line attached to the truck but from what it seems it was just too windy to fell the tree at that moment.

Any other suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjc2Vcf_5Y

I posted it 4 or 5 days ago but it was subject to an Arbtalk D notice!

A bit like celebrity shagging, I guess the 100's of 1000's of Facebook views made it impossible to keep from the public domain?

Site / public access management appears to be completely absent! If it's not subject to HSE / AA interest we might as well all just reach for our spurs and 10 gallon hats!

I posted it 4 or 5 days ago but it was subject to an Arbtalk D notice!

A bit like celebrity shagging, I guess the 100's of 1000's of Facebook views made it impossible to keep from the public domain?

That's the long and short of it.

This is in essence a potentially very informative thread which we discussd before allowing it to run, but it will not be allowed to descend into a slag fest of individuals or the company.

(noted that this wasn't your intention when you first posted the video)

That's the long and short of it.

This is in essence a potentially very informative thread which we discussd before allowing it to run, but it will not be allowed to descend into a slag fest of individuals or the company.

(noted that this wasn't your intention when you first posted the video)

Thanks David. Some might recognise livery, others not. But all may learn from observation / discussion. I wondered if it was chopped for legal reasons but it's just about viral on other sites.

Are you promoting the OPs video as good/average practice?

Did i say that...no of course not.

Im saying that our industry is dangerous so walking away from jobs because theyre dangerous is unrealiatic because all jobs are dangerous.

OP aside i was answering a question put to me earlier

Edited by stihlmadasever

Ridiculous.

All singing all dancing more tickets than a ticket-shop outfit.

Can't even fell or judge how to pull a tree like that.

I make no apology whatsoever for these comments.

FISA mentality / mockery of inexperience.

Everything about that procedure was STUPID.

" ******** tree experts" !!!

Ridiculous.

All singing all dancing more tickets than a ticket-shop outfit.

Can't even fell or judge how to pull a tree like that.

I make no apology whatsoever for these comments.

FISA mentality / mockery of inexperience.

Everything about that procedure was STUPID.

I am with you on that one Jon