Winch on chipper

simonm

Better off standing winch further away, for better pull. Or double reefing through pulley block to use mechanical advantage of pulley and increased power of winch, whilst using lower layers

Go hydraulic, a decent secondhand one for £300-400 . Pipes and a diverter off the track circuit , no brain surgeon is needed to fit one. Will winch tirelessly all day.

Bob

Would hydraulic be more usable than electric? I don't want something that will only be used to self recover i want something i can work, not saying it will be used all day every day pulling massive stuff about, but it would be good to have the capability to move stuff without the fear of breaking a £500 winch!

If you want to use them repetitively go hydraulic for sure. As mentioned earlier, I used electric winches for repetitive work (3-4 mins of pulling then 10 mins unhitching, resetting and then going again) and we killed two electric winches in no time. Will cost a bit more initially but it sounds like the right tool for the job. As bob mentions you have got a decent engine, hydraulic system and controls right there so shouldn't be a hard addition.

If you want to use them repetitively go hydraulic for sure. As mentioned earlier, I used electric winches for repetitive work (3-4 mins of pulling then 10 mins unhitching, resetting and then going again) and we killed two electric winches in no time. Will cost a bit more initially but it sounds like the right tool for the job. As bob mentions you have got a decent engine, hydraulic system and controls right there so shouldn't be a hard addition.

i have a limited knowledge with hydraulic systems, how would i know if the hydraulic pump on the chipper would be sufficient enough to power the winch? i assume the bigger the winch the bigger the hydraulic pump to power it :confused1: is it a case of matching the winch to the output of the pump?

It's all about pressure. You need to know what pressure your pump delivers and match that to the winch's motor. Flow is less important - the more flow, the faster your winch will be though. If your pump doesn't deliver the required pressure the winch won't pull the skin off a rice pudding - if it has the correct pressure but limited flow then it will pull the winch's rated capacity but it might be very slow.