Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

If the cretinous incompetence of some of the decisions made at this local level are multiplied by the number of PCs in the land, then multiplied again by LA town, district, unitary areas, then multiplied again at the party political level, electoral wards and national government level, and then multiplied again by international organisations such as the EU, NATO, UN, etc...  The amount of money being pissed up the wall would be truly, eye-wateringly, unbelievably staggering.

yes - have to admire your altruistic work there - every time my council tax bill comes in it has a huge increase in the parish council part of it 30ish% increase this year. I can't be bothered to get involved and have resigned myself to being robbed

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

yes - have to admire your altruistic work there - every time my council tax bill comes in it has a huge increase in the parish council part of it 30ish% increase this year. I can't be bothered to get involved and have resigned myself to being robbed

At the PC precept setting meeting last November (my first) I was astounded to find that there was no knowledge or pre-scrutinised estimates for the 18/19FY budgets (they didn't know what they were required, or may have aspirations to spend.) There was +/- £130k unallocated cash at bank and the (previously) routine process of setting the precept for the following year was a bit of a chat and a 2% increase (since "everything else is going up" and "we always have an increase" - genuine actual quotes.)  I literally forced them to add additional columns to the spreadsheet there and then, to review the preceding years expenditure and to allocate some elements of the cash at bank to future liabilities.  I kid you not, it was budget management week 1 day 1 for kindergarten!  The upshot was, after running the figures, that a negative budget was delivered - ie a precept decrease/rebate.  This caused a total f*cking meltdown...  The Clerk then undertook to "reassess" the figures and "make" it a neutral budget - ie same as last year.  I took that as a major victory in a long war.  That Clerk is now "retired" after 20 odd years in the job, apparently, my "awkward' questions made him "uncomfortable."  

The biggest problem in all of this is not the idiots in charge (at what ever level) it is the apathy (no offence to yourself, I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered!) of people that DON"T get involved and let this outrage continue unchallenged!

PS 30% increase in PC precept???   That sounds like something is desperately amiss there!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

PS 30% increase in PC precept???   That sounds like something is desperately amiss there!

exaggeration - only a mere 22.3% when I checked the bill, we probably need the community centre done out in gold leaf - or the churches whatever

can't complain too much - couldn't bear to live in complete anarchy, going back to caveman style

in the news - posh totty fed up with 63 yr old Lord shagging around - so does his flat over with pigs blood and garden sprayer, draws penis etc

Edited by tree-fancier123

13 hours ago, Mark J said:

You're overreacing mate, he clearly mis-spoke:  

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Silly me, my mistake.

Fair play to you boys.....!  That is a truly head banging moment! I wonder if, in time, it will enter into the urban dictionary as a valid defence for other, more general day-to-day legal defences?  

Do you take this woman....

It's my round.....

I'll send the cheque this Friday...

Yes officer, I did stab him.....

I'll clear all that brash.....

?   

23 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Fair play to you boys.....!  That is a truly head banging moment! I wonder if, in time, it will enter into the urban dictionary as a valid defence for other, more general day-to-day legal defences?  

Do you take this woman....

It's my round.....

I'll send the cheque this Friday...

Yes officer, I did stab him.....

I'll clear all that brash.....

?   

The head banging moment was when he didn't stand up for US/European democracy. Let's face it, he's a twat. The silence from European leaders is deafening.

26 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The silence from European leaders is deafening.

European leaders and the EU more specifically with their political interference (and Obama's weakness) are largely responsible for Putin's annexation of the Crimea which has led to the current dismal state of Russian/West relations. 

Also, Merkel has proved she's more of a threat to Europe than Putin or Trump ever could be......

image.jpeg.54c3ecdb20a4f4feb938c0f8dc7c40e3.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

European leaders and the EU more specifically with their political interference (and Obama's weakness) are largely responsible for Putin's annexation of the Crimea which has led to the current dismal state of Russia/West relations. 

Also, Merkel has proved she's more of a threat to Europe than Putin or Trump ever could be......

image.jpeg.54c3ecdb20a4f4feb938c0f8dc7c40e3.jpeg

EU expansion Eastwards and the subsequent destabilising effect upon Russia / RoW relations was the primary factor in my casting my vote to leave the EU (and hopefully speed it on its path to ultimate demise) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1