Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

15 minutes ago, matelot said:

So the top Middle Eastern university is number 145 in the world. Yet the Middle East has 100 universities in the top 20% of world universities.

Where did you learn statistics? The Bestest Saudi Arabian University of Maths and Goat Herding?

Hahahaha if you need me to explain the maths to you ....... never mind, did you go to one of our top universities? If you did that’s embarrassing. 

7 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

For goodness sake Matelot. You're speaking just like the far left that you so despise.

I'm not judging their race, I'm judging the practice of cutting off girls' clitorises

If you think this is racism, or you think this judgement is wrong you are very sick in the head.

Gotta agree with this. I couldn't give one shit if it is racism if I care if somewhere people are cutting off girls clitorises. It's barbaric and efforts should be made to stop suffering of this type. IMO what's the point in being a self aware human creature if you can't stop other peoples suffering? Especially if you can do it without adding any suffering to anyone, if that is possible. 

BTW, yet another thing that is rife in Islam.....

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Fine!

You'll have "to go and do your own leg work on this" to quote your response to Matelot for asking for evidence to your unsubstantiated claim but here it is in a nutshell seen as you pressed me.

You're absolutely entirely and completely wrong! FACT!

Your fact was accurate and I have not disputed that. I am merely "trying" to explain to you how statistically speaking your fact does absolutely zero in presenting the middle east in an impressive way whatsoever. Statistically speaking due to the sheer mass of geography of the continent and number of people and educational institutions within it the fact that they only have 100 in the top 20% of universities globally is abominable! The statistic, though on the surface looks like a shiny shimmering thing, attests to the argument that they are utterly backward. Now factoring the diversity of economic prosperity, or lack of, and human diversity across this expanse then this appalling statistic MUST be due to culture.

Your "leg work" if you want to understand why you're actually doing no service to your middle eastern pals is to analyse and comprehend the statistics so you can defend them better in the future. 

I have no problem debating with someone who is prepared to think before they speak. You clearly do and are prepared to back up claims with evidence. 

Im not really trying to stick up for the Middle East or present them in any light, I’m dispelling matey boys “guff” to use his word. 

The fact still remains they have 100 universities globally positioned in the top 20%. Population, and geographic position don’t come into it in the sense that if they did by your reckoning universities outside the top 5% may as well not exist. Added to that matey boys claim about skilled workers being worthy of our NHS or other professions for that matter have come from the same universities you are both rubbishing. 

So so they are clever enough and skilled enough to take top jobs in the privelidged west yet they graduated from poor universities?

Nope I wasn't implying anything you just said I was implying. I'm not even sure, or have even thought the issue through, as to whether it is morally right, or neutral or what to take educated people from lesser privileged countries. As such I haven't involved myself in that specific debate. 

All I was saying is you were making an argument in defence for middle eastern education that was, upon investigation, a paradox to the reality of the way it was presented. That said, do I think they are all shit? Nope! I wouldn't have a clue, and in your defence I wouldn't entirely trust the accuracy of ANY polls from anywhere on any subject, including university ranking as they WILL be biased one way or another. You called it, so I called you on it!

However, with regard to immigrating educated people from these places, it's kinda moot, as I think outside the EU or outside UK most higher education courses require a conversion degree in the UK in order to practice professionally. This weeds out the "shit hole" universities from the "shit hole" countries. To coin a phrase "allegedly" uttered by Trump. Though yes I can believe he said it. 

Edited by forestboy1978

4 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Nope I wasn't implying anything you just said I was implying. I'm not even sure, or have even thought the issue through, as to whether it is morally right, or neutral or what to take educated people from lesser privileged countries. As such I haven't involved myself in that specific debate. 

Again like I was trying to explain yesterday it’s more like morally neutral as we aren’t taking them per se they are choosing to come for first and foremost the money just like matey boy did when he worked in the Middle East for more money, the boy is a hypocrit. 

All I was saying is you were making an argument in defence for middle eastern education that was, upon investigation, a paradox to the reality of the way it was presented. That said, do I think they are all shit? Nope! I wouldn't have a clue, and in your defence I wouldn't entirely trust the accuracy of ANY polls from anywhere on any subject, including university ranking as they WILL be biased one way or another. You called it, so I called you on it!

Thats fine however ever if they are shit so are the universities outside the top 20% for the same reasons that they are. I don’t think they would be shit but I concede they aren’t going to be as good as ours, that said their quals are still good enough to work here. 

However, with regard to immigrating educated people from these places, it's kinda moot, as I think outside the EU or outside UK most higher education courses require a conversion degree in the UK in order to practice professionally. This weeds out the "shit hole" universities from the "shit hole" countries. To coin a phrase "allegedly" uttered by Trump. Though yes I can believe he said it. 

Yes and that’s fair enough but they are passing the conversion courses on the foundations in place from said universities. 

20 minutes ago, WesD said:

The fact still remains they have 100 universities globally positioned in the top 20%.

You still haven't proved that... I don't think there are any Middle Eastern universities in the world's top 100 universities... Why is that? 

Just now, matelot said:

You still haven't proved that... I don't think there are any Middle Eastern universities in the world's top 100 universities... Why is that? 

There you go again bending narratives. 

Answer my question and I’ll break the maths down for you. 

Did you go go to one of our as you class them top universities? Basically any uni within the UK?

4 minutes ago, WesD said:

Again like I was trying to explain yesterday it’s more like morally neutral as we aren’t taking them per se they are choosing to come for first and foremost the money just like matey boy did when he worked in the Middle East for more money, the boy is a hypocrit. 

Thats fine however ever if they are shit so are the universities outside the top 20% for the same reasons that they are. I don’t think they would be shit but I concede they aren’t going to be as good as ours, that said their quals are still good enough to work here. 

Yes and that’s fair enough but they are passing the conversion courses on the foundations in place from said universities. 

We're going round in circles but yeah I don't dispute any of that really.

I was merely pointing out that the statistic you provided, of middle east having 100 uni's in the top 20% not only wasn't proof of anything good, it was evidence that the middle east is doing diabolically educationally. That is the crux of it and that was the point I was trying to make. If you're going to argue with someone and present data then you want to be sure that data is in favour of your argument, not against it.

There are 17000+ uni's world wide. 20% = 3400

there are 194 countries in the world

15 in the middle east (number changes now and then)

So....

100/194 x 15 = 7.7% 

So basically that means that despite the middle east being 7.7% of the world out of the 3400 universities in the top 20% they could only field 100 which is terrible. 

I know have a headache lol

• Like 1