Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Then don't bloomin' say it Mull.

Well it becomes difficult tvi, it’s easy for me to be compassionate today, but what legacy do I leave to my grandchildren? My instinct is to make my country to be as safe as possible so I lessen the harm likely to come their way.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mull said:

Well it becomes difficult tvi, it’s easy for me to be compassionate today, but what legacy do I leave to my grandchildren? My instinct is to make my country to be as safe as possible so I lessen the harm likely to come their way.

I understand the sentiment Mull, but closing off the country and turning a blind eye to the rest of the world is almost certainly going to be more damaging to the lives of your grandchildren in the long run.

1 minute ago, Mull said:

You may lessen the (already pretty tiny) risk of harm from terrorism, but the main legacy is a nastier country to live in. 

Closed countries are not safer, it's just that the chance of outside threat is replaced by the certainty of state oppression.

Silly (extreme) example, I know, but there's very little insurgency in North Korea.

• Haha 1

I understand the sentiment Mull, but closing off the country and turning a blind eye to the rest of the world is almost certainly going to be more damaging to the lives of your grandchildren in the long run.

Why is that then?
  • Like 1

You may lessen the (already pretty tiny) risk of harm from terrorism, but the main legacy is a nastier country to live in. 
Closed countries are not safer, it's just that the chance of outside threat is replaced by the certainty of state oppression.
Silly (extreme) example, I know, but there's very little insurgency in North Korea.

Talking about this country, yes you’re being silly and extreme.

12 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

We need to develop better screening methods, and nobody is saying let all asylum seekers in. It is important to remember that the vast majority of desperate people are trying to get away from extremists themselves.

Yeah, my heart really bleeds for all those asylum seekers staying in Calais trying to make it to the UK 9_9

Those French are such extremists with their fine food and really attractive woman. It must be absolute hell staying in France.

2 minutes ago, Mull said:

Talking about this country, yes you’re being silly and extreme.

The example was silly, not the point it was making.  

The chance of being injured - in this country - by a terrorist, is less than the chance of being injured by someone who doesn't like you because you are different.  Intolerance is far more dangerous for everyone. 

Yeah, my heart really bleeds for all those asylum seekers staying in Calais trying to make it to the UK [emoji16]

Those French are such extremists with their fine food and really attractive woman. It must be absolute hell staying in France.

You don’t do yourself any favours matelot.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, onetruth said:

Really? When was the last time you heard of a terrorist attack in the likes of Poland or Hungary? When was the last terrorist attack in Japan?

It's as if opening the doors of the UK to violent immigrants has somehow made Britain a more dangerous place....