Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Why worry, get upset, angry and hate others, it is not your money they are spending?

No one forces you to give to Oxfam.

Maybe if you have a great plan to help people out you can start putting it into place.

Oxfam is part funded by government - taxes - in other words. That's why it made the news, the gov. is threatening to pull their funding if heads don't roll, or so I understand.

6 hours ago, matelot said:

OK, charities like Oxfam have poured billions into Africa. Do you really think that money has made the world a better place? Could you give some examples of places where Oxfam has made a long term difference?

The problem with the likes of Oxfam is that they pour food into areas affected by famine and then the locals have another ten kids so that means when the next drought hits there are ten times as many people to feed. All the while the increased African population puts yet more pressure on the natural environment. Are you really happy that natural forests are cut down so that Ahmed and his 15 kids can cook their evening meal?

Yeah, compassion is an awesome thing. However compassion is a lot more effective when you mix it in with some cold hearted reasoning. 

If you have kids or intend to have kids would/do you raise them to the best of your abilities and share your wisdom whilst placing them in the best school/s for education you can to ofer them a good chance at life OR do you think f@ck it I can’t be arsed what difference will my kids make to the world?

@matelot please take your time to answer that honestly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Why worry, get upset, angry and hate others, it is not your money they are spending?

No one forces you to give to Oxfam.

Maybe if you have a great plan to help people out you can start putting it into place.

Maybe I'm upset because I can see that some charities make the world a worse place to live?

Back in 1987 Bob Geldoff was asking us to give money to Ethiopia because they had no food. The Ethiopian population then was 45 million. The population now is 108 million.... How is population growth like that sustainable? 

I've put some photos of Africa below. What type of Africa would you prefer? Would you prefer elephants (and other wildlife) in pristine wildernesses or would you prefer Africa turned into one huge shanty town?

I've read that within 50 years there will be no elephants left in the wild. Are you really cool with that?

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, matelot said:

Dont get me wrong. We should help countries that have had bad luck.

Hold that thought Matelot!:thumbup:

The differences in quality of life between us and the majority of the rest of the world's population is almost entirely down to luck.

5 hours ago, matelot said:

So what is the African solution to starvation? Have 10 kids each and expect white people to rescue them?

I agree with you that a lot of well meaning aid is not focussed on all the initiatives it needs to be. I am no expert but I suspect a focus on education, empowerment of women, and access to birth control would help make a huge difference. Lifting people out of poverty.

Some 'enlightened' organisations in the West are still teaching the world's poorest that the use of condoms is sinful.

• Like 1

I agree with you that a lot of well meaning aid is not focussed on all the initiatives it needs to be. I am no expert but I suspect a focus on education, empowerment of women, and access to birth control would help make a huge difference. Lifting people out of poverty.

Some 'enlightened' organisations in the West are still teaching the world's poorest that the use of condoms is sinful.

To add to that. Unless these countries have more employment and a stable economy that can look after its older people, the population will continue to grow as parents see it as a way of being looked after in old age.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, matelot said:

Maybe I'm upset because I can see that some charities make the world a worse place to live?

Back in 1987 Bob Geldoff was asking us to give money to Ethiopia because they had no food. The Ethiopian population then was 45 million. The population now is 108 million.... How is population growth like that sustainable? 

I've put some photos of Africa below. What type of Africa would you prefer? Would you prefer elephants (and other wildlife) in pristine wildernesses or would you prefer Africa turned into one huge shanty town?

I've read that within 50 years there will be no elephants left in the wild. Are you really cool with that?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh My God!

Just when you think there's a chink of light you prove once and for all that you are one sick bastard.

Sorry for the language mods, but that post is gross.

28 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

The differences in quality of life between us and the majority of the rest of the world's population is almost entirely down to luck.

Who told you that? The BBC? I suppose "luck" makes a pleasant change from blaming whitey and slavery for Africa being a mess. 

Africa is blessed with fertile farmland and natural resources. Yet Africans still die from starvation.... It's as if Africans just can't build modern succesful countries....